Lake Oswego breaks a scoring drought between the teams with a 1-0 victory

by: MATT SHERMAN - Lakeridge goalie Trevor Wilson knocks a ball away from Lake Oswego's Evan Sandblast during Lake Oswego's 1-0 victory last week. In 160 minutes of soccer between Lakeridge and Lake Oswego's boys soccer teams this year, the run of play yielded just one goal and that goal, scored by the Lakers, in the second half of last week's rematch between the teams, was enough to keep Lake Oswego within striking distance for the league title.

The Lakers captured a 1-0 win on the road, their fourth straight victory in league.

It was another back-and-forth contest that started off slowly with both teams trying to break down the opposing defense.

The first 20 minutes of play saw good possessions from both sides but few great chances.

With 12:30 to play in the half, Lakeridge's Sean McGuire hit a well-struck free kick that Laker goalie Duncan Atwood saved nicely.

Lake Oswego put heavy pressure on the Pacers in the final few minutes of the first half. Ethan Elliott struck a volley that was saved nicely by Lakeridge's Trevor Wilson and Avery Kott knocked a volley over the top.

The second half started quickly with a shot by Lake Oswego's Kyle Gazzigli being saved and a Lakeridge counter-attack that drew Atwood well away from the goal.

Fourteen minutes into the second half, the Lakers finally broke through with Gazzigli finding an opening behind the Pacer defense and burying a shot, continuing his recent scoring binge.

Just minutes later, Lakeridge appeared to come up with the quick response. The Pacers knocked in a ball on a cross but it was disallowed by the referee, who called a penalty because of contact made with Atwood.

Lakeridge made a strong surge midway through the half, getting a nice shot from Zack Goldstein that was saved. Later, Simon Homedes knocked a dangerous shot over the crossbar.

Lake Oswego nearly clinched it with a few minutes left on the clock when Alex Krenek controlled the ball in the box and made a nice move to get a shot off but it was deflected away.

Lakeridge made one final push in the final three minutes as Matt Jordan ripped a shot that missed wide and the Lakers turned away one final free kick in the closing seconds to preserve the win.

On Tuesday, Lakeridge quickly got back in the win column, pounding a Clackamas team that is suddenly reeling 5-1.

The Pacers moved into sole possession of third place in the league with the win and will look to hold onto that spot and a first-round playoff bye with three games remaining in the regular season.

Lake Oswego battled West Linn in a rematch on Tuesday, needing a win to close the gap with the Lions.

But West Linn had the Lakers' number again, controlling possession and scoring a pair of second-half goals to win 2-0.

The Lakers had their chances but West Linn limited their opportunities to score. After falling behind, Gazzigli drew the West Linn goalie away from the net but his shot was saved and, a few minutes later, Evan Bernert hit a shot that was saved and Bradley Karstadt fired a shot that narrowly cleared the crossbar.

The Lakers are still firmly in second place in the league and have only lost to the Lions this year.

Contract Publishing

Go to top