A small fire that broke out in the grass field adjacent to the Safeway grocery store in Molalla Friday afternoon was extinguished by employees of the store, according to Lt. Byron Wakefield of the Molalla Fire District.
Wakefield said the cause of the fire was due to careless smoking as someone likely tossed their cigarette butt onto the ground.
He said that when fire officials arrived, the fire had been largely contained by several store employees who grabbed fire extinguishers and contained it down to a smoldering fire. The MFD just had to put out the last little bit of it.
Wakefield said there wasn't much danger of the fire spreading to the building since it has a solid concrete wall, and the store did not have to be evacuated. There were no injuries. A small patch of land of about 40 square feet remains charred in the grass field.
Wakefield cautioned people to properly extinguish and dispose of cigarette butts, especially during times of extreme fire hazard weather conditions.
Sports Reporter/News Contributor
503-829-2301 ext. 341
Follow us on Twitter
Like Us on Facebook
Visit Us on Instagram