City plans emergency routes for eclipse
In order to ensure access for emergency vehicles during the weekend prior and day of the total solar eclipse on Aug. 21, the city of Madras and local emergency service organizations have created an Emergency Service Route.
The route will be implemented during the solar eclipse event. The following roads will be closed to through traffic:
On the east side of town:
- Turner Street from J Street to H Street.
- H Street and Turner east to Eighth Street and Eighth Street to Buff Street.
- Eighth Street to E Street east on E Street to Ninth Street.
- Ninth Street to Oak Street.
In the center of town:
- C Street from Ninth Street to First Street.
On the west side of town:
- First Street from J Street to C Street.
- Canyon Road to Glass Drive.
- Glass Drive to Adler Drive.
- Adler Drive to Demers Drive.
The identified roads above will be closed to through traffic during the dates of Aug. 18-21. That will allow emergency services and essential services the ability to move throughout the city without having to compete with visiting traffic.
City officials ask that you travel the specified routes with care, as those routes will be used by all emergency services and essential services.
If you have any questions regarding the Solar Eclipse Emergency Service Route, call Michel Quinn, administrative assistant for the Madras Public Works Department, at 541-325-0313.