Obituaries for week of 10-6-04


   Harry Baker Jr.
   Culver resident Harry William Baker Jr. died Sept. 22, 2004, at the age of 74.
   Mr. Baker was born Aug. 23, 1930, in Bradford, Pa., to parents Harry and Mildred Baker. He grew up and was educated in Smithport, Pa., and later served in the Army.
   In July of 1953, he married Joan Bidwell, in Eldred, Pa. They lived in Pennsylvania until 1960, where he worked as a truck driver for Quaker State Oil. They moved and lived in Riverside, Calif., from 1960 to 1997, and he worked as a commercial truck driver in California. He also had his own yard maintenance business in Riverside for 30 years. In 1997, he retired in Oregon.
   His interests included hunting and working on trucks.
   Survivors include his son, Robert Baker of Riverside, Calif.; daughters, Cindy Cross and Debbie Baker, both of Culver; 13 grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, Joan Baker, two sisters, a daughter, a son, and a grandson.
   A memorial service will be held at a later date. Arrangements were under the direction of Autumn Funerals LLC of Redmond.
   Alice Harry
   Former Grizzly area resident Alice Harry died Sept. 29, 2004, in Redmond at the age of 94.
   Mrs. Harry was born Dec. 7, 1909 to parents Christian and Elizabeth (Gomer) Harry in the Grizzly area in Jefferson County.
   She was a homemaker and worked on the family farm, which is still owned by the Harry family today. She was a voracious reader and loved gardening.
   Survivors include her brother, Julius Harry of Vancouver, Wash.; and sisters, Marie Harry and Laura Harry, both of Redmond, and Margaret Sleasman of Woodburn. She was preceded in death by her parents, two sisters and two brothers.
   Funeral services were held Oct. 7, at the City Center Four Square Church in Redmond. Burial followed at the First German M.E. Church Cemetery in Metolius. Memorial contributions have been suggested to the Missionary Fund at the City Center Foursquare Church, P.O. Box 475, Redmond, OR 97756. Arrangements were under the direction of Autumn Funerals of Redmond.
   Dwayne Lengele
   A celebration of the life of Dwayne Lengele will be held during a potluck picnic at Cove State Park, in the Deschutes Day Use area (second landing), at noon, Oct. 9.
   Clifford Meachem (PHOTO)
   Clifford Meachem, 94, died Sept. 25, 2004, at Toppenish Community Hospital.
   Mr. Meachem was born May 13, 1910, in White Swan, Wash., to Frank and Georgianna (Miller) Meachem. He was raised in Home Valley, along the Columbia River, by his aunt Virginia until the age of 12, when he joined his mother in Warm Springs.
   He attended and graduated from Chemawa Indian School in 1928, then attended Ashland College for two years, studying Shakespeare and acted in one of the Shakespearean productions.
   He was the last hereditary chief of Tuxahi, grandson of Tuxahi, who signed the Treaty of Warm Springs in 1855. He was also the grandson of Chief Tumulth, who signed the treaties of 1855 for the Siletz and Grand Ronde Tribes of Oregon. He came from a long line of strong leaders and survivors.
   In July of 1935, he married Kathleen Dorothy Gates in Dallesport, Wash.
   On April 17, 1944, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps and served until Dec. 3, 1945, achieving the rank of rifle sharpshooter in 1944, and had special military qualification as a surveyor. Areas he served included the Hawaiian Islands, Guam, Saipan and Sasebo, Japan. He participated in the occupation of Sasebo, Japan in 1945. He was a survivor of the July 17, 1944 Port Chicago explosion disaster, in which over 300 people were killed and the town of Port Chicago was leveled (in Contra Costa County, Calif.). That day he was assigned to guard duty while munitions ships were being loaded.
   Mr. Meachem worked as a civil engineer on seven tunnels and bridges along the Columbia River, and on projects including Grand Coulee Dam, Bonneville Dam, The Dalles Dam, McNary Dam, John Day Dam, and the Feather River Earth Filled Dam in California. He also surveyed the town of Grand Ronde and surveyed and laid out most of the roads on the Warm Springs Reservation.
   As a surveyor, he discovered the original markers on the McQuinn Strip at the base of Mt. Jefferson, which today form the western boundary of the reservation.
   He was a cofounder of Elliott Palmer American Legion Post in Warm Springs, and was also a licensed realtor in the state of Washington. He and his wife were avid rockhounds, and both enjoyed bowling, gardening and trout fishing. He was the oldest male member of the Yakama Nation and Treaty Days Grand Marshal in 2004.
   Survivors include his daughters, Colleen Reimer and her husband Clint of Toppenish, Wash., and Maxine Stephens and her husband Larry of Prineville; half-brothers, Max and Zane Jackson, both of Warm Springs; nieces, Joyce Reyes of Tacoma, Wash., Deborah Jackson-Alvarez and Anita Jackson, both of Warm Springs; nephews, Charles Jackson and Mark Jackson, both of Warm Springs; eight grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife Kathleen on Dec. 9, 2001; his daughter Sandra; two grandsons, Craig Reimer and Darin Lawver; a stepson, Rick Stephens; brothers, George, Roy and Vernon; and two infant sisters.
   Funeral services were held Sept. 30, at Community Presbyterian Church in Wapato, Wash., with military honors conducted by the Yakama Warriors Association in the Reservation Community Memorial Park near Wapato, Wash. Arrangements were under the direction of Merritt Funeral Home.
   Charlotte Russell
   Former Culver resident Charlotte V. Hopper Russell died Sept. 30, 2004, in Redmond at the age of 98.
   Mrs. Russell was born May 3, 1905, in Culver to parents John and Martha (McDaniel) Hopper. She attended Crook County High School, and on June 30, 1926, married Ernest C. Russell in Redmond.
   She was a housewife, member of the Highland Baptist Church, and her special interests included her family, church, garden, reading and doing crafts.
   Survivors include her son, Alan Russell of Terrebonne; daughter, Mary Wilcox of Redmond; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, one sister, and two brothers.
   A private family service was held. Memorial contributions have been suggested to Hospice of Redmond and Sisters, or Highland Baptist Church in Redmond. Arrangements were under the direction of Autumn Funerals.
   Wilma Stapleton
   Madras resident Wilma Marie Stapleton died Sept. 30, 2004, at the age of 83.
   Mrs. Stapleton was born Oct. 30, 1920, in Monument, Kan., to parents Lee and Myrtle Gibson. On July 19, 1947, she married Thomas Stapleton. She and her husband invested in real estate and were longtime residents of Bend.
   Her special interests included sewing, arts and crafts, fishing, camping, bowling and she was an avid sports fan.
   Survivors include her husband, Thomas Stapleton of Madras; niece, Debbie Olson of Madras; sisters, Ruby Doelling of Cottage Grove, and Wilda Rhodes of DrumLight, Okla. She was preceded in death by two brothers and two sisters.
   Funeral services were held Oct. 5, at Skyline Memorial Chapel in Portland. Arrangements were under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home of Madras.
   Anthony Suppah
   Anthony John "Big Rat" Suppah died Sept. 30, 2004, at Mountain View Hospital in Madras. He was 57.
   Mr. Suppah was born Aug. 28, 1947, in Simnasho to parents Roosevelt and Martha (Culpus) Suppah. He was a lifetime resident of Warm Springs, an enrolled member of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, and was involved in all traditional Native American activities.
   He served two tours of duty while in the U.S. Marines, and worked as a committee member for the Fish and Wildlife Association. He loved sports and was involved in coaching.
   Survivors include his wife, Lucille Suppah of Warm Springs; children, Cheryl Suppah, Leaf Suppah and Sherry Suppah, all of Arizona, Little Bull Suppah of Simnasho, Red Sky and Rosie Suppah, both of Warm Springs; stepchildren, Penny Moody, Ovedt Moody and Valerie Suppah, all of Warm Springs; brother, Sacred Heart Suppah of Warm Springs; sisters, Muriel Suppah, Jewels Suppah, Brenda George and Patricia Suppah, all of Warm Springs; and numerous grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a daughter and a brother.
   A prayer service was held Oct. 1, at his home in Warm Springs, and a dressing ceremony on Oct. 2, at Simnasho Longhouse, followed by a two-night overnight service. Burial was Oct. 4, at sunrise at the Simnasho Cemetery. Arrangements were under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home of Madras.
   Additional information
   Additional survivors of Clay F. Sanders, who passed away Sept. 11, include two brothers, Rodney Olan Sanders and David Allen Sanders, both of Metolius; and three sisters, Sharon Titus and Durinda Sanders, both of Madras, and Karen Elliott of Metolius. He also had several aunts and uncles from Oklahoma, as well as numerous nieces and nephews from Oregon.