Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

CPRD may not break ground on new pool until October

Park district expects to get guaranteed maximum price from contractor in September

Going back to the spring, the Chehalem Park and Recreation District has been aiming to break ground on its new aquatic center in August or September, but will not meet that goal as it waits to get a maximum guaranteed price from contractor Triplett Wellman.ARTIST RENDERING COURTESY OF THE CPRD - An artist rendering shows a view from the south of the design of the new aquatic center on Haworth Avenue. nstruction on the facility is likely to begin in October.

According to superintendent Don Clements, Triplett Wellman is expected to present the guaranteed maximum price in mid-September, at which point CPRD could present finalized plans to the city to complete permitting and break ground in October.

The first work that would be done would focus on preparing the site for construction and would involve the park and parking lot areas of the property.

“Our whole emphasis has been to keep the current pool open until such time that we open the new one and it looks like we’re going to be able to do that,” Clements said.

At that point, CPRD would formally request the city wave some of its development fees, which Clements said amount to as much as $500,000 or more.

“We would utilize that money and put it back into the pool, which the city council has not addressed and I’m not holding them to anything,” Clements said. “The city is going to do, I hope, what’s in the best interest of the community and I think they will.”

The CPRD board of directors would have to vote to approve the final plans and cost before it could approach the city.

Clements said there are two contingency plans in place if the board judges the maximum guaranteed price to be too high.

The first would be to put the project on hold for a couple of months and hope to get a better price by beginning work later, likely in January. The second would be to cut aspects out of the project to get under budget.

“I don’t think we want to go there, but we’ve talked about those types of situations,” Clements said.

Clements noted that even if work begins in October as hoped, weather could delay the project, which has a tentative finish date of December 2017, anyway.

“If we had weather like we had last winter, it will probably push it a little bit, maybe three or four months. If the weather is like we had a couple of years ago, we might beat the current timeline. We don’t know. Everything depends on the rain.”