Richard "Dick" Uphoff
September 20, 1933 to November 16, 2013
Dick was born in Salem, Oregon on September 20, 1933 to Joseph and Margaret Uphoff. He grew up in Woodburn where he attended St. Lukes Elementary School and Mount Angel Seminary for high school. After high school, Dick went to the University of Portland where he majored in Psychology.
Dick was drafted in the U.S. Army and he was eventually stationed in France from 1956-1958. He then came back to Portland and went to work for Union Oil at one of their service stations in Northwest Portland. Dick was promoted to manager shortly thereafter. He met Ann in 1959. He transferred to Sutherlin, Oregon for a short time and moved back to Portland in 1960. He and Ann married and they settled in Southeast Portland for several years. They moved to Tigard in 1965 where they have lived ever since. They had Joan, Debbie and Paul and Gregory while living in Southeast Portland. Dick held numerous positions with Union Oil from 1958 until his retirement in 1990. He retired as a Distribution Representative.
Dick did not stay retired for long. He started his Personalized Lawn Care Service which he operated from 1990 until 2013. The people he worked for in Summerfield became his friends. It was his passion. He was very involved in all of the sports that his children played, in particular, soccer. Dick also loved to golf, travel extensively and root for Notre Dame, the Green Bay Packers and the St. Louis Cardinals.
Dick passed away on November 16, 2013. Dicks son, Gregory passed away in 1963 and later, his brother, Kenneth Uphoff. He is survived by his wife, Ann; sister, Donna Coleman; children Joan (Bill) Haney, Debi Uphoff, Paul (Brett) Uphoff; two grandchildren and one great grandchild.
A funeral mass was held at St. Anthonys Church in Tigard on Thursday, November 21, 2013. A private interment will be held at St. Anthonys Cemetery at a later date.
In lieu of flowers, remembrances may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at 9320 S.W. Barbur Blvd., Portland, Oregon 97219 or the St. Anthonys Building Fund at 9905 S.W. McKenzie St., Tigard, Oregon 97223.