Search by name

Search - Categories
Search - Contacts
Search - Content
Search - Newsfeeds


Hugh Michael Dragich

September 25, 1925 ~ April 28, 2013


by: CENTRAL OREGONIAN - Hugh DragichHugh Michael Dragich passed away peacefully at his home after a short illness on April 28, 2013. He was 87 years old.

Dragich was born in Bend, Ore. to Michael and Alice Dragich on Sept. 25, 1925. He graduated from Crook County High School in 1944, then enlisted in the US Army and served in the Philippines in World War II.

After the war, he graduated from Oregon State University, and lived and worked in Prineville for most of his adult life. He operated the Pastime Tavern in the 1960s and ‘70s, and built and operated the Skull of the Oreodont tavern in the 1970s and 1980s. At “The Skull” he displayed many of his findings from his avid hobby of fossil hunting and collecting.

He also served the City of Prineville in a variety of capacities. He was the city’s Parks and Recreation director from 1971 to 1975, overseeing the development of many park areas still in use today, including the covered picnic area, basketball courts, and tennis courts at Ochoco Creek Park, and much of the city’s bike paths. While the Parks and Recreation director he also ran many sports leagues for the city, and started the women’s softball leagues.

Hugh also served terms on the Prineville City Council in both the 1970s and 1990s.

After retiring, he managed the Queen’s Garden mobile home park in Prineville for many years.

He married Patricia DiShaw in 1951. They divorced in 1977. He married Mary Welker in 2001.

Hugh is survived by his wife, Mary Dragich; a son, Christopher Dragich, of Washington State; and his brother, Dale Dragich, of New Mexico.

He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters: Lola Heden, of Bend, and Georgia Gratke, of Roseburg.

Hugh’s love of adventure and sense of humor will always be remembered.