Last week, March 3
"The Shack"; "Logan"; "Before I Fall"
This week, March 10
"Kong: Skull Island" (WB), PG-13, 118 minutes
About — A team of explorers and soldiers travels to an uncharted island in the Pacific, unaware that they are crossing into the domain of monsters, including the mythic Kong; Stars — Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, John C. Reilly; Director — Jordan Vogt-Roberts
"Raw" (Focus World), R, 99 minutes
About — When a young vegetarian undergoes a carnivorous hazing ritual at vet school, an unbidden taste for meat begins to grow in her; Stars — Garance Marillier, Ella Rumpf, Rabah Nait Oufella, Laurent Lucas; Director — Julia Ducournau
Next week, March 17
"Beauty and the Beast"; "T2 Trainspotting"; "13 Minutes"
Note: Movie descriptions by IMDB, www.imdb.com
The latest top 10 digital movie purchases/rentals based on transaction rate, by Comscore:
2. "Hacksaw Ridge"
3. "John Wick"
4. "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back"
6. "The Accountant"
7. "Manchester by the Sea"
9. "Deepwater Horizon"
10. "Suicide Squad"
Other recent favorites: "Boo! A Madea Halloween"; "Keeping Up With the Joneses"; "Sully"; "Storks"
• A reminder: The Portland Music Video Festival is a showcase for musicians and filmmakers from Portland and around the world. There'll be more than a dozen videos from Portland artists and filmmakers who'll be in attendance for question-answer sessions after screenings. It takes place at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 8, at the Hollywood Theatre, 4122 N.E. Sandy Blvd. For more: www.portlandmusicvideofestival.com.
• The Portland International Film Festival has announced its Audience Award winners. The some 35,000 attendees of the recent festival voted on their favorites. The winners include: Best Narrative Feature — "Truman," Spain; Best Documentary Feature — "I Am Not Your Negro," United States/France/Belgium/Switzerland; Best First Feature — "My Life as a Zucchini," Switzerland/France; Best Animated Feature — "My Life as a Zucchini," Switzerland/France; Best Short Film — "Incendio," Portland; Best Oregon Short Film — "Incendio," Portland.
• The beloved anime series "Sword Art Online" hits the big screen with "Sword Art Online The Movie," presented by Fathom Events and others. Anime fans will experience an all-new English subtitled adventure with Kirito, Asuna and their party members as they explore the world of "Ordinal Scale." There'll also be a featurette of voice actors Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito) and Haruka Tomatsu (Asuna) discussing "Sword Art Online." It screens at 8 p.m. Thursday, March 9, at Clackamas Town Center, 12000 S.E. 82nd Ave., Happy Valley, Century 16 Eastport, 4040 S.E. 82nd Ave., and Lloyd Center 10 Cinemas, 1510 N.E. Multnomah Blvd. For more: www.FathomEvents.com.
• The RiffTrax Live crew — Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett of MST3K fame — and their commentary return to theaters with "Samurai Cop," the beloved z-grade action film of the early 1990s, a movie about a samurai cop and his partner as they journey from a faraway land called "San Diego" to bust up a gang whose stated goal is putting someone's head on their piano. It'll screen at 8 p.m. April 13 and 7:30 p.m. April 18 at Clackamas Town Center, Century 16 Eastport and Lloyd Center 10 Cinema. For more: www.FathomEvents.com.