SASKATOON, Saskatchewan — It's all square in the Memorial Cup tournament.

Portland earned its first win — joining the other three teams with 1-1 records — as Derrick Pouliot and Chase De Leo scored quick goals in the third period in the Winterhawks' 6-3 victory against London, Ontario, on Monday.

"I liked the way we played down low," Hawks coach Travis Green said, complimenting his defense. "They like to cycle the puck … I really like the way we played and defended."

The Winterhawks, who lost 7-4 to Halifax in their Cup opener, play the host Saskatoon Blades at 5 p.m. PT Wednesday in their final round-robin game. Halifax and London play Tuesday.

"They're a good team. They showed last night how well they can play," Green said of the Blades, who beat Halifax 5-2 on Sunday. "They've got an older group. They work hard. They're a bigger team."

As they had Saturday, the Hawks blew a big lead in their second Cup game, but they rallied to win this time.

They led 3-0, before London scored three consecutive goals, the third coming 1:48 into the third period, when Alex Broadhurst put home a rebound past Portland goalie Mac Carruth after a point shot.

Tied 3-3, the Hawks quickly established the lead again. Pouliot scored on a wrist shot past goalie Anthony Stolarz at 6:20 after Portland pressure, and 23 seconds later came De Leo's goal. De Leo took a pass from Oliver Bjorkstrand after a London turnover and beat Stolarz.

Portland's Ty Rattie, who scored in the second period, added his second goal, an empty-netter with under a minute left.

Like in the first Memorial Cup game against Halifax, the Hawks burst to a lead.

Taylor Leier, playing in his hometown, redirected Tyler Wotherspoon's shot and beat Stolarz at 16:53 of the first period.

Bjorkstrand's wrister made it 2-0 just 2:17 into the second period.

Portland upped its lead to 3-0 when Rattie moved through London defenders and put a backhand shot past Stolarz at 10:23.

But the Knights bounced back. Star defenseman Scott Harrington beat Carruth with a wicked wrister just 15 seconds after Rattie's goal.

London spent the rest of the period pressuring Portland, and drew within a goal on the power play at 12:30, when Max Domi stick-worked and passed through his legs to Bo Horvat, who beat Carruth on a spectacular play.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine