Pilots return victorious from football trip
Oct 31-Nov. 1, 1939
• The 28-man University of Portland football team returns at Union Station from a 14-12 upset of the St. Mary's Gaels.
• Oregon State College moves up to 11th in The Associated Press football rankings.
The Beavers are playing host this week to Southern California at Multnomah Stadium. The pregame rally will include a 30-minute stage program at the Broadway Theater featuring campus vaudeville talent. The cadet band from Corvallis will play pep songs and college cheers led by student yell kings. Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson calls for the People of Portland to come support Oregon State.
• The Portland Buckaroos, defending Pacific Coast Hockey League champions, open practice for the 1939-40 season with goalie Andy Aitkenhead among the returnees.
• In prep cross country, the Milwaukie Mechanics trounce Jefferson and Franklin over a 2 1/4-mile course at Hill Military Academy.
• Franklin High plays host to a Wednesday card of amateur wrestling, boxing and weight lifting.