Pacific fills men's and women's basketball coaching jobs
• Pacific University in Forest Grove hired not one but two head coaches on Wednesday.
The Boxers plucked men's head coach Justin Lunt from Northwest Conference rival Puget Sound and chose Alecia Wilson, an assistant at Whitworth the past four seasons, to run their women's program.
Lunt was 180-129 at UPS, including 106-86 in the NWC.
Wilson handled recruiting, offense, video, scouting and strength and conditioning at Whitworth, another NCAA Division III NWC school.
• The University of Portland men have signed 7-footer Jacob Tryon, who will be a sophomore out of East Los Angeles JC.
The 220-pounder preppared at Great Oak High and is from Temecula, California.
He averaged 12.0 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in one season at East L.A., shooting 57 percent overall.
UP coach Terry Porter, in the school's press release, called Tryon a "great stretch forward with good length. His shooting range extends well out into 3-point land. Jacob creates mismatches on the offensive end, allowing him to use his size and strength to his advantage.
"Jacob is is great addition to the Pilot basketball program, and we cannot wait to see where he takes us."
COLLEGE WOMEN'S GOLF
• Junior Tara Finigan of Portland State, winner Tuesday of the Bobcat Spring Invitational at Goodyear, Arizona, has been named Big Sky Golfer of the Week.
PORTLAND 102, Utah 93
• The Blazers earned the No. 3 playoff spot in the Western Conference by winning their final regular-season game.
Portland will play host to No. 6 West seed New Orleans in the first round.
Utah fell to No. 5 and will open at No. 4 Oklahoma City.
The Blazers and Pelicans split four games durnig the regular season.
Damian Lillard scored 27 of his xx points in the first three quarters to help Portland take an 80-59 lead over Utah.
Lillard finished 13 of 25 from the field, including 4 of 10 on 3-pointers.
He also had a game-high 10 assists in 36 minutes.
Backcourt mate CJ McCollum finished with 19 points for the Blazers, who were sharp from the start to finish with a 49-33 record.
Star rookie Donovan Mitchell and point guard Ricky Rubio led Utah (48-34), each with 17 points.
Seattle 4, KANSAS CITY 2
• Kyle Seager's two-run home run in the eighth inning broke a 2-2 tie as the Mariners took the three-game series, 2-1, at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri.
The M's improved to 6-4 and are headed back to Safeco Field for three games against Oakland and four against World Series champion Houston.
Seattle next plays at 7 p.m. Friday versus the Athletics.
Kansas City is 3-7.