Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



Resident hurt cooking hashish

by: WASHINGTON COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE - Furniture and belongings were blown out of apartment by Thursday evening explosion.A man was injured by an explosion that occurred when he was cooking hashish in his West Hills apartment Thursday evening.

Broms, 22, suffered extensive burns on the upper half of his body. He was transported by ambulance to the Oregon Burn Center at Legacy Emanuel Hospital, where he was listed him in stable condition.

No one else was injured in the explosion, which damaged several apartments in the complex at 7540 SW Barnes Road in Sylvan. This is in the Enhanced Sheriff's Patrol District.

According to the Washington County Sheriff's Office, Broms was cooking hashish at the time of the explosion. Hashish is a derivative of marijuana and this process can increase the drugs potency. Deputies believe Broms was using highly volatile and dangerous chemicals in the process. At some point the chemicals became unstable and produced a violent explosion.

The explosion caused extensive damage to the apartment which tore the back wall and windows completely out. There was furniture and other household items strewn over a 50 foot area out of the back of the apartment. Mr. Broms was the only person in the apartment at the time.

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, Portland Fire and Rescue, and the Washington County Sheriff's Office responded to reports of the explosion just after 7 p.m. The first firefighters to arrive were met by several excited residents who said they heard a loud bang and saw flames from a second-story unit.

Firefighters immediately began to render medical care to Broms, who was burned on his to his upper torso and face. He was promptly transported by Metro West Ambulance to Legacy Emmanuel Hospital.

Meanwhile firefighters searched the building to ensure that no one else was injured as a result of the explosion, which blew out the back portion of the affected unit. Most of the fire had already been extinguished by neighboring resident, Taylor Brown, who responded immediately after hearing and seeing the blast. Brown used three extinguishers to snuff several spot fires and his quick action prevented the fire spreading to nearby condominiums.

The case is under investigation and criminal charges may be filed.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine