Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Shooting, stabbings keep police busy


Police responded to several reports of violence early New Year's Day.

At 3:01 a.m. on Jan. 1, East Precinct officers responded to Portland Adventist Medical Center on the report of a stabbing victim dropped off at the Emergency Room. After the officers arrived, they learned that the victim, a 23-year-old male, was at a house party somewhere near 82nd Avenue and Fremont Street when the stabbing occurred.

Officers learned that the victim got into an argument with another man over a game of beer pong, resulting in a fight. The victim did not realize he'd been stabbed until friends noticed that he was bleeding and drove him to the hospital. He was transferred by ambulance to a different Portland hospital for treatment to serious injuries.

No suspect description or crime street location was immediately available.

Then at 5:22 a.m., East Precinct officers responded to the report of a shooting at a residence in the 2400 block of Southeast 142nd Avenue. When the officers and medical personnel arrived, they located the victim, an adult female, who had a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

The victim told police that approximately an hour earlier, she was in the back of the residence walking her dog in the dark when she heard a noise and felt a sting in her leg. She went back inside and later realized she'd been shot in the leg. The victim had no information on a suspect, where the shooting occurred or why she was shot.

The woman was transported to the hospital for treatment to her injury and officers checked the area to look for a crime scene and investigate the circumstances of the shooting.

And at 6:08 a.m., officers responded to the report of a stabbing at a residence in the 7500 block of Southeast Ramona Street.

When the officers arrived, they learned that an adult male had been involved in a physical altercation with his girlfriend when two of her female friends tried to intervene. The man began to physically attack the two witnesses and one of them grabbed a knife to defend herself. One witness stabbed the man, then the other witness retrieved the knife and stabbed him again.

The man suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to a Portland hospital for treatment. The witnesses and the girlfriend have cooperated with investigators.

No arrests have been made and the investigation is continuing.