Terrorism report late again
For the second year in a row, the annual report on the Portland Police Bureau's work with the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force is late.
When the City Council voted to rejoin the task force more than two years ago, it directed the bureau to present a report on its involvement at the end of every January. Among other things, the annual report is intended to satisfy critics who are afraid some of the task force's investigations violate state civil rights laws.
The first report was due last year. It was not presented until after the end of January. At the time, the bureau said it took longer than expected to prepare it.
This year's report was not presented by the end of January, either. On Wednesday the council will consider a resolution pushing the due date back to the end of March.
The resolution says the delay is required because new Mayor Charlie Hales and his staff are not yet familiar with the operations of the task force.
"[T]he newly elected Mayor has only been in Office since the beginning of January [and] he and his staff request more time to meet with the Police Bureau and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in order to become better informed of the Joint Terrorism Task Force agreement," reads the resolution, which was submitted by Hales.
The resolution also changes the due date for all following reports to the end of March, however.
Portland withdrew from the task force when former Mayor Tom Potter said he did not feel fully informed about its activities as Police Commissioner. The city rejoined after Muslim teenager Mohamed Osman Mohamud was arrested by the FBI on a charge of trying to detonate a bomb at the annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Pioneer Square in 2010.