Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 10 mph
19 Dec 2014
20 Dec 2014
New year starts with more DUII arrests
47 arrests is highest in three years
Oregon State Police troopers reported more drunk driving arrests around the state on New Year's Eve and after midnight than the previous two years.
Preliminary figures reveal state troopers made 47 Driving Under the Influence arrests between Saturday, Dec. 31, and 8 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 1. A majority of the arrests, 25, were made after midnight.
Last year, state troopers reported 41 DUII arrests during the same period. Two years ago, the number was 34.
OSP offices reporting two or more DUII arrests during that period were:
• Springfield Area Command office: 11 DUII arrests (nine after midnight).
• Portland Area Command office: Nine DUII arrests (five after midnight).
• Coos Bay Area Command office: eight DUII arrests (three after midnight).
• St. Helens work site: three DUII arrests.
• Central Point Area Command office: four DUII arrests.
• Klamath Falls Area Command office: two DUII arrests.
• Gold Beach work site: two DUII arrests.
Since the New Year's holiday enforcement period started 6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 30, troopers have reported 53 DUII arrests and investigated two fatal traffic crashes resulting in the death of three people.
During last year's holiday period, one person died on Oregon roads.