Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 10 mph
29 Jul 2015
30 Jul 2015
Firefighters respond to North Portland ammonia leak
Firefighters responded to an ammonia leak in a North Portland commerical building early Sunday morning.
No one was reported injured in the incident, which happened at Stack Metallurgical Services,5938 N. Basin Blvd.
According to Lt. Damon Simmons of Portland Fire & Rescue, employees of the business showed up for work early Sunday and began turning on their furnace equipment. An ammonia alarm sounded shortly before 4:30 a.m. and the employees evacuated.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they used an air quality reader and confirmed the presence of ammonia.
The exact levels of ammonia present are unknown. Simmons said there is no risk to the public, and no evacuations have been ordered.
The fire bureaus Hazard Material Team responded to the scene and started ventilating the building. Firefighters, using special breathing machines, turned off some of the equipment inside the building, Simmons said.
A concern of firefighters was that the regular pilot lights from the furnaces could start a fire if the ammonia levels do no subside.
Crews remained on scene until the air quality levels return to normal. The cause of the leak was not immediately known.