Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 0 mph
1 Sep 2014
2 Sep 2014
Man arrested after setting himself on fire
A 62-year-old man was injured and then arrested after he accidentally set his clothing on fire while pouring gasoline into his vehicle Sunday morning in a Southwest Portland parking lot from what police said was a stolen gas can.
Portland police said Harry Frederick Suniville was slightly injured in the fire. He was treated by paramedics and then charged with second-degree criminal mischief, reckless burning and third-degree theft, and lodged in the Multnomah County Jail.
He will be arraigned on Monday.
Central Precinct officers were called at about 11 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 22, to a parking lot at Southwest 11th Avenue and Columbia Street, where they found Suniville and a car on fire. Portland firefighters extinguished the fire and medical personnel treated the man for injuries.
Officers accused Suniville of taking a partially filled gas can from a truck parked next to Suniville's vehicle. Suniville then began pouring gasoline into his vehicle while he smoked a cigarette. The gasoline ignited, burning his socks and pants and singeing his eyebrows and hair.
Suniville's vehicle suffered fire damage and was towed from the area. The victim's vehicle also suffered fire damage but remained parked in the parking lot.