Investigators are trying to determine what caused a fire at a two-story abandoned duplex in Northeast Portland.
The fire, which was reported around 3:30 a.m. Monday, was quickly knocked down by firefighters. Officials said the home was abandoned and boarded up following a five-alarm fire in August 2013.
In that incident, an apartment complex under construction caught fire and badly damaged several neighboring homes and parked cars. The total damage was estimated to be $5 million. Officials have called the fire arson. There have been no arrests made in connection to the fire, despite a $2,500 reward.
On Monday, firefighter said when the first crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the second floor of the residence. Because the home had burned in the Aug. 2013, and no repairs had been made, firefighters did not immediately enter the home because of safety concerns. A fire official said once the flames appeared under control, crews swept the building. There were no reported injuries.
Firefighters said neighbors told them there have been squatters staying in the home.