The Portland School Board is expected to ratify a new three-year teachers contract at its Monday evening meeting.

The tentative deal was ratified Thursday night by the 2,900 members of the Portland Association of Teachers (PAT) after an arduous 10 months of negotiations.

Portland Public Schools has released the particulars of the contract that was reached between the district and the union last week to avert what would have been the first strike in its history.

Under the agreement, PPS will hire 150 new teachers. Those will include 70 in K-8, 50 in high school and 30 in special education. Teacher workload protections established in 2010 will be maintained.

Teachers will get a 2.3 percent annual salary increase for 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16. That is in addition to increases based on years of service.

PPS will add 2 days to the school year and up to 3 days for professional development. Teachers get a per diem rate for the added days.

The district will continue the current 93/7 health insurance split. PPS will be responsible for a 93 percent share of a teacher’s health insurance premium, up to $1,397. Teachers will pay the remaining 7 percent, $117 per month.

PPS will implement a sunset early retirement program in September of 2016. The current early retirement program will be in place through June 30, 2016, for those with at least 15 years of service.

To read the fill contract, click

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine