Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 21 mph
25 Oct 2014
26 Oct 2014
Man injured in early morning Linnton house fire
A 67-year-old man was treated for smoke inhalation after his Linnton-area home caught fire early Sunday morning.
Portland Fire and Rescue officials said the man was being treated at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. He escaped the burning home, but was caught in the smoke from the large fire.
Fire investigators said embers from a fireplace sparked the blaze.
Firefighters from Station 22 in St. Johns were called at about 12:25 a.m. to the two-story home at 10155 N. Wilark Ave. When they arrived, firefighters saw flames coming from three out of four sides of the house.
The fire was so large, that it could be seen from the St. Johns Bridge. Firefighters fought the fire from the outside, protecting neighboring houses.
It took firefighters almost two hours to get the fire under control. At 6:45 a.m., one fire engine was still at the scene.
Northwest St. Helens Road was shut down during the two hours of firefighting. A ladder truck and engine were placed on the highway to shoot water from below onto the burning home, helping crews get water on the fire from a location that was difficult to reach on foot.
Sauvie Island's Volunteer Fire Department also assisted Portland Fire and Rescue.