Kyle J. Koontz, 32, allegedly huffed electronic cleaning spray in front of police

Photo Credit: CLACKAMAS COUNTY JAIL - KYLE KOONTZA local man received the unenviable distinction Wednesday of becoming one of the few people to be arrested twice for driving under the influence of intoxicants in less than 24 hours.

Wilsonville resident Kyle James Koontz, 32, faces a charge of driving under the influence of intoxicants after Wilsonville Police Sgt. Dan Kraus spotted Koontz sitting inside his maroon SUV in a driveway in the 26000 block of Southwest Stafford Road in an apparent catatonic state “with his head slumped forward,” a police report stated. Matters went downhill for Koontz from there, as he allegedly kept inhaling electronics cleaner from a spray can despite the fact he was being watched by a police officer.

After he was taken into custody, police said, release paperwork from the Clackamas County Jail was found in Koontz’s shirt pocket: he had been released from custody less than 18 hours before the arrest after an earlier arrest for driving under the influence of intoxicants.

“He had been locked up,” Kraus said, “and then we got a report this morning at 9 a.m. that there was a drunk driver. (Apparently) he had been released and gone and gotten his vehicle and was out driving impaired.”

The first arrest took place at 6:50 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, on Southwest Jack Burns Way in Argyle Square. There, Koontz was arrested for driving under the influence of both alcohol and inhalants, but his 2006 GMC Yukon was left at the scene, according to a police report from the arrest.

Thus when he posted bail and was released from custody in Oregon City, Koontz made his way back to Wilsonville to retrieve his vehicle the next day. It didn’t take long, however, before police responded to multiple 911 calls around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday reporting a reckless and dangerous driver. Kraus was the first to respond and noticed a damaged tree at the intersection of SW Boeckman Road and Willow Creek Drive. Proceeding north on Stafford Road, he quickly found Koontz and his SUV.

When Kraus attempted to talk with Koontz, the latter was unresponsive and didn’t notice the officer’s arrival. What happened next is best left to the official police report from the incident.

“The car was idling. I told the driver to turn the car off,” the report states. “He turned his head slowly to the left toward me and he looked at me then slowly turned the car off. I told him to remove the keys and he did not do so. I opened the car door and told him that I needed him to step out of the vehicle. The driver, now known to me as Mr. Koontz, leaned over into passenger seat and put a can of electronics cleaner in his mouth and blasted the cleaner into his mouth while breathing in deeply for several seconds. He seemed to almost lose consciousness as he did so.”

Koontz became briefly agitated, but calmed down as other officers arrived on scene. He was taken into custody without incident and cited for DUII and harrassment before being released at the scene.

“This was a super-difficult DUI case,” Kraus said. “We had a DRE (drug recognition expert) on each (arrest). He was consuming alcohol on the first one, and at the second one he had straight inhalants and he was even using inhalants while the police officers were present.”

Such are the effects of electronics cleaner on the human body, Kraus added, that police later called for medical help after Koontz reported feeling signs of a heart attack.

“He was blasting it into his mouth and he thought he was having a heart attack,” Kraus said. “The propellant was so cold that it causes those heart attack symptoms. It’s a bunch of stuff you don’t want in your body.”

By Josh Kulla
Assistant Editor / Photographer
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Follow me on Twitter
Visit us on Facebook

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine