Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 0 mph
17 Sep 2014
18 Sep 2014
Homeowner hospitalized with smoke inhalation
A Southwest Portland homeowner was hospitalized for smoke inhalation after fighting a kitchen fire Friday morning.
The name of the homeowner was not immediately available. No damage report was immediately available, either.
According to Portland Fire & Rescue, at 8:49 a.m. on Aug. 29, firefighters were dispatched to a house fire at 2529 S.W. Plum Ct. When they arrived, they found the homeowner and his dog outside the house. He said he had tried to extinguish a small fire that started in his kitchen.
Firefighters entered the house, put the fire out, and made sure that it didn't spread into the walls and the ceiling. The homeowner was transported to the hospital with smoke inhalation issues.
According to the United States Fire Administration, someone dies in a house fire in the U.S. every three hours. PF&R says that cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the country, and has the following reminders:
Keep dishtowels, paper towels, pot holders, and combustible items away from stove burners.
When cooking, stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on the stove.
Don't wear loose sleeves over hot stove burners - they can melt, ignite, or catch on handles of pots and pans
f a cooking fire starts, smother it with a pot lid. Never throw water on a grease fire, and do NOT try to pick up the pan.
If fat or grease in a pan starts burning, quickly slide a lid over the pan to cover it completely and cut off the oxygen supply. Turn off the heat.
If there's a fire, get out and stay out. Never go back into a burning home.