A Molalla man was taken into custody in the early-morning hours of Jan. 2 following an eight-hour standoff with Canby police and Clackamas County SWAT and hostage negotiation teams.GORDON CHRISTIANSEN - CANBY NOW - Canby police blocked off Highway 99E during an eight-hour standoff with a gunman who barricaded himself inside a house just north of the city limits.

Canby police responded to a woman reporting domestic violence at 23220 S. Highway 99E around 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 1. The woman was able to escape the home with her children and gave police permission to enter the rental but the suspect, 47-year-old Anatoliy Levontievich Meneyv, whose driver’s license lists a Molalla address, refused to cooperate with police, Canby Police Chief Bret Smith said.

Law enforcement officials closed down Highway 99E and detoured traffic for several hours as a precaution once it became clear there were weapons inside the home. Police set up a containment area around the property — a cluster of homes just to the north of Canby’s city limits — and a Clackamas County tactical team brought in equipment that allowed officers to remain safely inside armored vehicles close to the house, and outside of the cold, windy night, Smith said. Temperatures hovered around 20 degrees with wind gusts up to 35 miles per hour during the eight-hour ordeal, according to the National Weather Service.

“We knew it would take a while since the suspect was not cooperating,” Smith said. “We set up a containment area and closed the highway in order to control the home and the suspect’s movements.”

Smith said the property owner cooperated with police in telling them the layout of the property, and the interior design of each home, and although they received permission to enter the house Canby PD and Clackamas County sheriff’s waited to obtain a search warrant from the Clackamas County District Attorney’s Office before making their move and taking the suspect into custody.

Canby Fire District responders helped police lob tear gas canisters into the home, and were able to arrest Meneyv, who did not have any warrants out for his arrest or any prior convictions. Drugs and alcohol also were not a factor in the standoff with police, Smith said.

One noteworthy event that occurred during the standoff was a Canby man who showed up on the scene wanting to take pictures, apparently to post online. Police confirmed the man thought it would be a good idea to walk right into the middle of a tactical situation in the woods at night to take photos.

“From a safety perspective that is not something that would be highly recommended for anyone to do,” Smith said.

The man was unharmed and escorted away from the scene without any criminal charges, Smith said.

No additional information on the events was available from Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office. Meneyv currently is lodged at the Clackamas County Jail on charges of menacing, coercion, unlawful use of a firearm and harassment. A judge has yet to set bail.

Police declined to release the name of the victim for the sake of her and her children’s privacy.

Information will be updated as it is learned by the Herald.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine