Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Suspect arrested after being hospitalized for fighting with police


MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE - Joshua Lee CrockerPolice took an armed suspect to the hospital early Sunday after he fought with them during an arrest.

Joshua Lee Crocker, 35, is charged with Felon in Possession of a Firearm, Possession of a Loaded Firearm, two counts of Assaulting a Police Officer, Resist Arrest, Interfering with a Peace Officer, Felon in Possession of a Restricted Weapon, and Carrying a Concealed Weapon.

Two officers involved in the arrest were examined at a hospital and released.

A woman who was with Crocker was also arrested. Nicole Marie Williams, 36, was booked on outstanding warrants for Child Neglect in the First Degree and Manufacturing/Delivery of a Controlled Substance in the Third Degree.

According to police, at 3:59 a.m. on Dec. 10, East Precinct officers responded to the area of Southeast 143rd Avenue and Stephens Street to investigate the report of possible burglars in the area. At Southeast 143rd Avenue and Stephens Street, the officers came across a white 1993 Dodge pickup-truck in the intersection with two men and one woman loading and unloading items from it.

Police say the officers contacted the three people and obtained their identifications as part of the investigation. As one officer was checking their names in the police car, the other officer began checking the three for weapons. After checking the 62-year-old driver of the pick-up, the officer approached the second male, Crocker. He started to run away from the officer, who quickly caught up to him.

According to police, Crocker turned and swung a fist at the officer, and the two got involved in a violent struggle. During the struggle, the second officer came to assist his partner. At that point, one of the officers saw that Crocker was clenching a handgun between his thighs. The officer grabbed the gun and threw it away from the struggle as officers continued to work to get Crocker into custody, at one point using pepper spray which had little effect.

Police say that a sergeant arrived as cover and assisted the officers in getting Crocker into handcuffs, after which he remained combative. After Crocker was in custody, officers discovered that he was wearing a camouflaged tactical vest under his jacket, which contained a large, dagger knife.

Due to the officers' concerns that Crocker was high on some kind of stimulant and for visible injuries he suffered during his fight with the officers, Crocker was transported by ambulance to a Portland hospital for treatment. Both officers were also driven to a Portland hospital for a precautionary exam but were treated and released.

Crocker was treated and released from the hospital, then booked into the Multnomah County Jail. His loaded handgun was located and seized as evidence.

The driver was cooperative with officers and was released from the scene.