Eleven people were displaced from a King City Apartment and several Beaverton businesses were damaged in two early Sunday fires battled by Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.

No one was injured in either fire.

In the first incident, firefighters responded to a fire alarm at the Riverwood Heights Apartments in the 12000 block of S.W. Fischer Road in King City just after midnight on Feb. 14. The manual alarm was pulled by a tenant who spotted a third-story balcony engulfed in flames.

First-arriving firefighters from the nearby King City fire station were met by evacuating tenants. Firefighters began an aggressive fire attack and quickly knocked down the bulk of the flames on the balcony and in the apartment, but the fire spread into the attic space and persisted, finally breaching the roof.

According to TVF&R, firefighters worked for nearly 50 minutes to ensure the fire was out by extinguishing hot spots from the roof and pulling ceiling from inside apartments.

A fire investigator has determined that the fire started on a balcony, but it's unclear exactly how it started at this time. The investigator will continue conducting witness interviews and the fire remains under investigation.

Ten adults and one child were displaced from two apartment units. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The complex was not equipped with a fire sprinkler system. TVF&R says that when a fire sprinkler system is present, the likelihood of injuries and costly damage is dramatically reduced. More information about fire sprinkler systems can be found at:

In the second incident, at 4:33 a.m. on Feb. 14, an alarm company notified 9-1-1 dispatchers that a commercial fire sprinkler system had activated at 10074 S.W. Arctic Drive in Beaverton in a building that houses several businesses. Firefighters responded and found a large two-story concrete building filled with light smoke.

According to TVF&R, firefighters spent nearly an hour shutting off utilities, clearing the building of smoke, removing water and salvaging belongings. There were no occupants in the building at the time of the fire.

A fire investigator has determined that the fire started under a shelving unit. Two sprinkler heads activated and limited damage to the room where it started. It's unclear exactly what started the fire and it remains under investigation.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine