Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Wheeler calls for replacement debate after The Oregonian pulls out


UPDATE: Bailey, other mayoral candidates say they'll attend

State Treasurer Ted Wheeler has invited all candidates to join him in a Monday evening debate to replace the one canceled by The Oregonian at the last minute .

Wheeler was scheduled to appear with Multnomah County Commissioner Jules Bailey in a debate sponsored by The Oregonian. But it was canceled Sunday evening because of threats to disrupt the event from some of those who felt the other 10 candidates in the race should be included.

"I appreciate The Oregonian's efforts to organize a mayoral debate and respect their decision to cancel. Since I announced my candidacy for mayor I have been steadfast in my commitment to engage Portlanders in a robust discussion about how to solve the challenges we face together," Wheeler said in a Monday morning press release.

The new debate will happen at 6:00 p.m. at the place, Revolution Hall, 1300 S.E. Stark St.

Bailey will also attend.

"I entered this race because I felt strongly that Portland deserved a real conversation about our future, and that when we come together we can solve the pressing issues of our city. I’m disappointed the Oregonian has decided not to participate in tonight's debate. I've had the good fortune of sharing the debate stage with many of the candidates running for mayor, all of whom bring their own experiences and passion to these forums. I'll be there tonight for the town hall at Revolution Hall, ready to discuss the ways I think we can make Portland work for everyone," Bailey said Monday afternoon.

So will Sarah Iannarone, a PSU researcher who works on urban planning issues.

I congratulate The People of Portland on their win today and thank them for demanding that my voice be included. Portland's sustainable future depends on equity and inclusion. We need a deeper, better understanding of the issues and opportunities facing Portland at this critical time. As Mayor, I will ensure that voices from the margins claim their power," Iannarone said.

Other candidates planning to attend include David Schor, Jessie Sponberg and Sean Davis.

Wheeler also publicized a series of upcoming debates all candidates had been invited to attend last Wednesday.

After canceling the debate, The Oregonian tried to blame Bailey and Wheeler for the decision. In an online editorial, it said they were invited to participate in a studio debate after the live one was canceled but refused.

"Portland voters have reason to be disappointed today. They were expecting — and they were promised — a debate Monday night. That debate will not happen. But let's make one thing clear: The Oregonian/OregonLive canceled the live audience – and for good reason. Jules Bailey and Ted Wheeler canceled the debate," it read.