Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Local Weather

Mostly Cloudy

62°F

Portland

Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 37%

Wind: 5 mph

  • 6 Mar 2015

    Partly Cloudy 65°F 39°F

  • 7 Mar 2015

    Partly Cloudy 67°F 39°F


Unattended candle starts SE Portland apartment fire

A fire started by a candle damaged an apartment Saturday night in Southeast Portland.

No one was injured in the incident, which caused an estimated $6,000 in damages.

According to Portland Fire & Rescue, firefighters responded to an apartment fire at 11:55 p.m. on Feb. 21 at 5418 S.E. Lafayette St. When they arrived, the firefighters found a small fire in a bedroom.

Firefighters quickly put out the fire and it was under control at 12:05 a.m. Fire Investigators determined the cause of the fire to be a candle that was unintentionally left burning after residents had left the apartment. Fire Investigators also determined that the smoke detectors were not working in the apartment.

PF&R would like to remind Portlanders about the importance of working smoke detectors, and the danger posed by unattended candles.

Add a comment