Firefighters save elderly man from mobile-home blaze
Shortly after midnight on Tuesday morning, firefighters were dispatched to the Shadowbrook Mobile Home Park on a report of a fire at the Clackamas community along Highway 212 for people 55 and over.
Clackamas Fire crews arrived to find smoke billowing from the mobile home that still had its lights on. The first company of firefighters quickly made entry into the home to find a wall of the mobile home covered in fire and an elderly man yelling for help.
Firefighters were able to simultaneously extinguish the fire, locate the man who had become disoriented by the smoke and remove him from the building. An American Medical Response ambulance transported the victim to an area hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation. He has since been released from the hospital.
He reported making a fire in his wood stove prior to going to bed and was awoken a short time later by a smoke alarm. The man briefly attempted to extinguish the fire but it began to spread quickly.
In this case, a working smoke alarm and quick actions of firefighters contributed to a positive outcome, said Clackamas Fire spokesman Brandon Paxton.
This incident proves that working smoke alarms do save lives and provide early notification to residents, Paxton said. Often times it is the toxic smoke and gases that cause people to become disoriented and not able to escape their home in the event of a fire. Clackamas Fire would like to remind people to install a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and outside of all the sleeping areas.
In another residential fire the week before, Clackamas firefighters were saddened to find no smoke alarms in an apartment where a woman died in the blaze, while several others were injured.JW_DISQUS_ADD_A_COMMENT