Three injured, one critically, in suspected hash oil fire
Three people were injured in a two-alarm fire early this morning that is suspected to have been caused by an explosion from an attempt to manufacture "hash oil".
Five people were in the home at the time of the fire, which took place at the corner of 22nd Avenue and Main Street in Forest Grove. One man was transported to Emanuel Hospital with critical burns to his upper boyd, arms, and face. The other two victims did not sustain injuries severe enough to warrant hospital care.
It took firefighters approximately 25 minutes to extinguish a majority of the flames, and an additional two hours to extinguish remaining hot spots.
Contents in the main portion of the building were deemed a total loss. There were also three cats that perished in the fire.
The manufacture of hash oil requires extraction process involving butane, a highly flammable gas and is extremely dangerous. This is the second fire of this nature in Forest Grove within the past year. In March of 2013, police and fire responded to the 1900 block of "C" Street where occupants were attempting to make hash oil. Five people were injured in that incident.
Investigators with the Westside Interagency Narcotics Team are assisting Forest Grove Police with the investigation and are on scene.
Add a comment