Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Powell apartment fire's smoke injures occupant

by: COURTESY OF GREG MUHR, PF&R - Firefighter Paramedics help the ambulance crew prepare the smoke inhalation victim for transport to a hospital.When Portland Fire & Rescue crews rolled up to an eight-unit apartment building on S.E. 40th Avenue, a half-block south of S.E. Powell Boulevard in the Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood, at 9:42 pm on October 29th, smoke was pouring out of one unit’s window.

“Once the firefighters located the apartment that was on fire, they began a plan to get hose lines stretched over to the affected side,” explained PF&R Public Information Officer Lt. Rich Chatman. “The fire appeared to be confined to a single unit.”

While some crew members brought in a water line and put out the fire, firefighters concentrated on the apartment’s occupant.

“This person had an indication of smoke inhalation injury,” Chatman said. “The occupant was transported to the hospital by ambulance for further evaluation.” No other burn or smoke injuries were reported to occupants, pets, or firefighters.

PF&R Fire Investigators determined that rags, left too close to the stove burner during cooking, caused the blaze. The loss estimate was placed at $70,000.