Chances to do good: MLK Weekend edition
This year marks the 10th anniversary of United Way's MLK Weekend of Service. The nonprofit organization is coordinating with Hands On Greater Portland for the weekend, with the idea of honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Hands On Portland has created a web page where volunteers can find a list of activities planned for the Jan. 13-16 weekend. The list at handsonportland.org includes service opportunities across Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas and Clark counties; here are a few based in Southwest Portland:
Friday, Jan. 13
In the morning, Meals on Wheels People in Multnomah Village is hosting meal preparation, which is open to volunteers ages 7 and up. That same evening, volunteers 18 and older can sign up to play games, converse with and offer companionship to the homeless population in downtown Portland at Operation Nightwatch.
Saturday, Jan. 14
Have a green thumb? At the Hoyt Arboretum on S.W. Fairview Boulevard, volunteers ages 5 and up can help with brush and invasive species removal. This event is great for groups and families.
Sunday, Jan. 15
Meals on Wheels in Elm Court Center will being its two-day painting party for the dining room on Sunday afternoon; the spruce-up is open to kids and adults ages 10 and older. At the nonprofit's Multnomah location, volunteers as young as toddlers can create greeting cards for seniors who receive meals from the organization. Potluck in the Park, which offers free hot meal service in O'Bryant Square, will need a number of volunteers for its Sunday afternoon meal, as well as a recycling and clean-up crew (ages 12 and up).
Monday, Jan. 16
Meals on Wheels in Elm Court will finish its dining room project with a second day of painting. Volunteers ages 10 and up are welcome.
• To find a complete list of United Way's Weekend of Service opportunities, or to find details about a particular opportunity and how to sign up, visit Hands On Portland or here for the direct link to the special event page.
• Meals on Wheels People's main location is at 7710 S.W. 31st Ave.
• Meals on Wheels' Elm Court Center location is downtown at 1032 S.W. Main St.
• Operation Nightwatch is also located downtown at 1432 S.W. 13th Ave. in St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.
• Hoyt Arboretum is located at 4000 S.W. Fairview Blvd.
•Potluck in the Park is hosted in O'Bryant Square on the corner of S.W. Stark Street and S.W. Park Avenue downtown.