Portland Public Schools last day changed, semester extended
Portland Public Schools has lengthened its academic calendar by two additional days to make up for weather-related school closures on Dec. 8 and 9. As of mid-January, the new last day of the 2016-17 school year will be June 13.
PPS' board also decided to extend the current semester by one week. The last day of the semester, which was originally schedued for Jan. 26, will now be Thursday, Feb. 2.
The School Board has yet to review the impact of additional closures in mid-December and early January to see if it will add more days in June.
Wilson High debate and speech students receive top honors
Wilson High School students came away with several awards at the largest debate and speech invitational in Oregon's history, which was held at Clackamas High School in December.
• Hannah Borel (1st place, Programmed Oral Interpretation);
• Andrew Foran (3rd place, Humorous Interpretation and semifinalist, Prose Reading);
• Ari Lohr (finalist, novice Impromptu);
• Ginger Felberg (finalist, novice Dramatic Interpretation);
• Nathaniel Nelson (finalist, novice After Dinner Speaking);
• Chester Mantel (semifinalist, novice Radio Commentary);
• Bryce Snyder and Hannah Borel (semifinalists, Duo Interpretation);
• Tosca Ruotolo (semifinalist, Prose Reading); and
• Aidan Snodgrass-Ward and Ari Lohr (semifinalists, novice Parliamentary Debate).