Jackson student receives Portland School Board award
Jackson Middle School student Adia Jones recently received the Young, Gifted and Black award at a Portland Public School Board meeting. Jones is involved in her church and school choirs, and helps out in special needs classrooms.
The Young, Gifted and Black program aims to highlight the successes of black students throughout PPS.
Rose festival highlights student band
The Jackson Middle School band placed third in the Junior Rose Festival Parade. The band only recently re-formed after two years without a band program, and many of the current students only recently took up an instrument. This is the first time in a while that a PPS middle school won an award at the Junior Rose Parade.
Athletic awards roundup for Wilson
The Wilson Rose City Rowers took home many medals at the U.S. Rowing Northwest Regional Championships, held in late May in Vancouver, Wash. The awards went to:
- Senior Jake Mecham, who won Gold in Mens 5V4+;
- Freshman Anna Hansen, who won Gold in Womens 3V8+; and
- Freshman Max Altman, who won Silver in Mens 2N8+.
Additionally, a number of Wilson athletes performed well at the OSAA State Track and Field competition in Eugene in May:
- Caleb Seely took third in the 1,500 meters and fourth in the 800 meters;
- Alex Slenning took fifth in the 3.000 meter;
- Avery Poulson took eighth in the 800 meters;
- Emma Swanson took sixth in the 300-meter hurdles; and
- Chris Butcher took ninth in the long jump
— The Southwest Connection