Residence suffers smoke, heat damage from fire; American Red Cross offers assistance to family

PHOTO COURTESY OF COLUMBIA RIVER FIRE AND RESCUE - Columbia River Fire and Rescue crews put out a kitchen fire in a first-floor apartment, Tuesday, June 13. Firefighters were on scene for half an hour making sure the fire was out and smoke was cleared from the building.A family of four was displaced by an apartment fire Tuesday, June 13, in St. Helens.

Columbia River Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to the 1600 block of Old Portland Road at 10:10 a.m. after a stovetop fire broke out in the kitchen of a first-floor apartment at the McCormick Park Townhouses and Apartments complex.

When emergency personnel arrived, smoke could be seen coming from the front door of the apartment.

The apartment's resident was heating cooking oil on the stovetop when the oil splattered and caught several cabinets and household items on fire, according to a release from CRFR.

The resident went to grab a fire extinguisher from a wall unit outside the apartment, but it was empty and needed to be recharged, the release added.

Firefighters put out the fire quickly and remained on scene for half an hour to clear smoke from the building.

The fire caused heat and smoke damage throughout the apartment and caused structural damage to the kitchen, forcing the family to find temporary housing.

No injuries were reported.

One adult and three children who lived in the apartment were displaced and received assistance from the American Red Cross Cascades Region.

CRFR reminds homeowners to have working smoke detectors and properly inspected and refilled fire extinguishers in the home.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine