Accused cop attacker Martinez released for medical care
60-year-old from St. Helens taken to hospital for internal bleeding
A week after his arraignment on charges that he attempted to kill three law enforcement officers last month, Rogelio Rodriguez Martinez was rushed from the Columbia County Jail for medical treatment.
Columbia County Sheriff Jeff Dickerson said Tuesday, Aug. 20, that Martinez underwent surgery for complications related to the injuries he suffered on the morning of July 20, when he was shot several times in an altercation with police in St. Helens.
He was transferred out on ... Monday with some internal bleeding issues based on his previous injuries, Dickerson said. He was taken by ground ambulance and went into surgery, from what I understand, and is currently hospitalized.
Martinez, 60, pleaded not guilty last week to 19 criminal counts against him, including three counts each of attempted aggravated murder and attempted assault of a public safety officer.
Columbia County Circuit Court Judge Steven Reed set bail for Martinez at $200,000. He had remained in the countys custody since his arrest two weeks ago, prior to being released for treatment on Monday.
We did get a furlough from the judge to go ahead and release him for medical care, so hes no longer in our custody, Dickerson confirmed.
A trial date for Martinez has not been set. Dickerson said Martinez has been instructed to report back to jail upon his release from the hospital.Add a comment