Dwight Barlow

Sept. 1, 1933-April 25, 2012

Dwight Edward Barlow of Scappoose passed away April 25 in Portland. He was 78.

Mr. Barlow was born Sept. 1, 1933, in New Britain, Conn., to Robert Henry and Marguerite Vara (Melville) Barlow, and was the younger of two children.

Raised in Lansing, Mich., he graduated from Sexton High School, class of 1951.

He served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army from 1958 through 1963, when he was honorably discharged.

On Dec. 20, 1964, he married Marcia Lee Smith in Livermore, Calif.

He received two degrees from Michigan State University, one in animal husbandry, the other in mechanical engineering. He graduated with honors in both majors, and was a member of an honorary engineering fraternity.

For many years he worked as a contract mechanical engineer, primarily in two fields. One was with the University of California Livermore Lab, and the lab's test site in Las Vegas, Nev., and the other was with the WPPS nuclear plant in Richland, Wash. He also worked briefly on a space shuttle following the Challenger. He retired in 2000.

A single engine pilot, he owned several small aircraft. He was also a sky diver, a NAUI certified scuba diver, and an avid sailor.

He moved to Scappoose initially in 1973, relocated to Richland, Wash., with his family later that same year, then returned to their 'farm' in 1984.

While maintaining ties to Scappoose, he and his wife moved to Potrerillos, Panama, during the cold Scappoose winter months. It was in Panama where he fell ill.

He is survived by his wife of 47 years, Marcia; eldest son, Mark; daughter, Jamie; youngest son, Brent; grandson, Aidan; and granddaughters, Megan and Lindsay.

A family gathering will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday, May 6, at the family residence.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Richard Casterline

July 8, 1946-April 26, 2012

Richard 'Dick' Dale Casterline of Warren passed away April 26 in Portland. He was 65.

Mr. Casterline was born July 8, 1946, in St. Helens to George Myron and Marie Rose (Blaha) Casterline, and was the youngest of five children.

Educated at St. Helens high School, he graduated early after his junior year in 1964.

He lived his entire life in the area except for two years when he resided in Stockton, Calif.

He served his country in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam conflict from April 21, 1969 until Oct. 25, 1971.

He worked as a logger, at Boise Lumber Mill and for Cascade General Ship Repair for 27 years, retiring in May of 2004.

He was a member of the St. Helens Elk Lodge for over 34 years.

Among the things he enjoyed were fishing, hunting, gardening, family get-togethers and barbecuing.

He is survived by his children, Mario Espinoza of Warren and Verneta Hargrove of Waldport; step-children, Diane Albert of Portland, Michael Clegg of Baja, Calif., and Debra Bradfield of Warren; numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, including granddaughter, Sara, and great-grandchildren, Taylor, Hannah and Emma; and numerous nieces and nephews and great-nieces and -nephews. He was preceded in death by his siblings, Don Casterline, Edith Jones, Joanne Whitman and Georgia Jones.

A celebration of life service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 5, at the Columbia Funeral Home in St. Helens.

Inurnment service with military honors will be at Columbia Memorial Gardens in Scappoose.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at

David Christensen

July 21, 1947-April 26, 2012

David Merle Christensen of Deer Island was freed from a year-long battle with colon cancer on April 26 and has gone to Cattlemen's Heaven. He was 64.

This remarkable man walked the earth wearing many hats; cattle buyer, beef-packing plant manager, cattle rancher, thoroughbred race horse breeder, property developer, rodeo clown, bronc and bull rider, deep-sea fishing captain and big game hunter.

Dave was born July 21, 1947, in Tillamook, the second of three children, to Jack Christensen and Eleanor (Velde) Christensen.

Raised in Redmond, he graduated from Redmond High in 1965. During high school, he enjoyed competing in football, 4-H and rodeo events. He paid for his rodeo expenses by running trap lines and working in his father's cattle feedlot. This began his lifelong passion for the agricultural industry.

He attended Oregon State University where he paid his tuition by working as a cutter for a beef packing plant. In college he continued his love of rodeo by competing in saddle bronc riding, bull riding, and occasionally filling in as a bullfighter. He graduated from OSU in 1969 with a degree in business law.

After college he went to work for Coast Pack Co., first as a cattle buyer then as a manger of a beef packing plant in Ontario.

Shortly afterward he married his beloved wife, Marion Kem.

In 1980 his cattle ranching career began when he and his wife moved to Deer Island to run one of the largest cattle ranches in western Oregon.

Retiring from full-time ranching in 2000 allowed him to pursue some of his other lifelong dreams. He spent many days on the Pacific Ocean captaining his sport fishing boat, Maski, on tuna and salmon fishing adventures.

He and his best friend, Mike McKinnon, began buying and developing commercial, agricultural and residential property in central Oregon.

He traveled around the world not only as a big game hunter, but also to simply see areas of the planet that caught his interest. Still, the thing he enjoyed most was spending time with his wife, and raising and selling thoroughbred racehorses.

He will be missed by many for his ability to tell amazing and colorful stories; most of which were true.

He is survived by his wife of 36 years, Marion (Kem) Christensen; sons, Hunter Christensen of Scappoose, and Chase Christensen of Culver; granddaughter, Elise Christensen; and sister, Judi (Christensen) Patrick of Redmond. He was preceded in death by his parents and sister, Merlene Christensen.

A celebration of life, a 'Good Ol' Cowboy Party,' will be held in early summer for family and friends.

In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts are asked to be made in the form of donations to the Columbia Learning Center's, 'Chance to Become Scholarship Program,' P.O. Box 1094, St. Helens, OR, 97051.

Mary Harrington

March 22, 1929-April 27, 2012

Mary A. Harrington, formerly of St. Helens and Scappoose, passed away April 27 in Tualatin. She was 83.

Mary was born March 22, 1929, in Lopatyn, Poland, to Joseph and Sylvia, and was the fifth child. She was named Maria Anna, after her grandmother, Anna.

She had a determined attitude and adventurous spirit. Shortly after her birth, her parents immigrated to Canada, where an uncle already lived, to homestead for free land.

She attended McTavish College in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and later worked at Silverwood's Dairy, where she was employed for 11 years until she met Vern Harrington from St. Helens at the Vancouver, B.C. Airport on Memorial Day.

Vern proposed by a stream in Mt. Hood on July 4, 1959. She said she was 'so surprised as I had known him for a short time, I must have waited 3-4 minutes before I replied yes!' They celebrated with lobster at Timberline Lodge and were married on July 25 of that year.

She had a kind, loving spirit and giving nature.

Her interests included family, antiques, gardening, exercise, reading, playing Bingo, traveling, hockey, going out to eat and watching her favorite game shows, The Price is Right, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

She is survived by her son, Bart; daughters, Lavita and Venessa; and granddaughters, Melissa and Emmy. She was preceded in death by her husband, Vern.

A celebration of her life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 5 at Columbia River Foursquare Church in St. Helens.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Reva Johnson

July 12, 1925-April 25, 2012

Reva Jean Johnson, formerly of St. Helens, passed away April 25 in Longview, Wash., from the effects of Alzheimer's disease. She was 86. For the last three years she had been living at Canterbury Gardens.

Reva Jean Sage was born July 12, 1925, in Centralia, Wash., to Bert and Vivian (Blanchard) Sage.

The family moved to St. Helens when she was young so her father could set up his blacksmithing shop on Columbia Boulevard.

She graduated from St. Helens High School in 1943 and married Delmer Johnson in 1944. After 58 years of marriage, her husband died in 2002.

In 1945, she was the first woman to fly solo from the Scappoose airport, an accomplishment of which she was quite proud. She spent a little over two hours soloing, then hung up her 'wings' and flew commercial from then on, except when she occasionally flew as co-pilot with her husband in his plane.

She was a lifelong supporter of the schools, beginning as PTA president at McBride Grade School and later serving on the St. Helens School Board from 1963 to 1967. In 1966 she created the 'Special Recognition' award, which is still presented to a high school senior every year at graduation. After spending too many springs sitting in the rain watching her granddaughters at track meets, she helped initiate the building of the stadium at the high school.

She loved to take road trips around the country with several of her friends and relatives, as long as she got to drive! Throughout her life she also enjoyed going deer hunting, clam digging and spending time on 'The Pixie,' as well as photographing the river.

She is survived by her daughter, Linda (David) Swan; granddaughters, Tiffany Swan and Mallory (Sam) Barham; and great-granddaughter, Hinley Barham. She was preceded in death by her brother, Loren Sage.

Entombment was held April 27 at Columbia Memorial Gardens in Scappoose.

A private family gathering will be held.

Memorial gifts may be made to the Columbia Pacific Food Bank.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Rudolph Larson

Oct. 20, 1919-April 24, 2012

Rudolph 'Rudy' Albin Larson of Deer Island passed away April 24 at Meadow Park Care Center in St. Helens. He was 92.

Mr. Larson was born Oct. 20, 1919, in Clatskanie to Albin and Lillie (Palm) Larson, and was an only child.

He attended and graduated from Clatskanie High School.

On March 27, 1941, he married the love of his life Lulu Mae Galvin in Chehalis, Wash. She preceded him in death in 1998.

He served his country from 1945 to 1946, when he was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army.

A river dredger, he worked for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers until he retired in his 50s. He also worked for the Tongue Point Navy ships as a civilian machinist and at the Beaver Ammo Dump in the Clatskanie area after the war.

He belonged to VASA and the Deer Island Grange.

He is survived by his daughter, Linda Strawn; grandchildren, Jereld Strawn, Jennifer Moore, and Nancy Heater; great-grandchildren, Izak Snyder, Garry Snyder, Steffen Strawn, Stevie Strawn, Sophia Heater, Micole Heater, and MacKenzie Agler.

A graveside service was held April 30 at Columbia Memorial Gardens in Scappoose.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine