Hanna breaks St. Helens 800-meter run record at Lower Columbia Invitational
Junior wins event in 2 minutes, 18.99 seconds
There was magic at the 20-team Lower Columbia Invitational on Saturday, April 9, at St. Helens High School, the brightest of which was Josie Hannas new school record of 2 minutes, 18.99 seconds in the 800-meter run.
Coach [Naomi Reedy, who set the 2:20.43 mark in 2003] said, You just have to want it, either you do or you dont, said Hanna, the junior defending Northwest Oregon Conference 800 run champion. I had the time in mind, and I had the same kind of feeling as in cross country.
Scappoose won seven events and St. Helens won three.
For the Indians boys, Jarrett White won the 100-meter dash in 11.57 seconds. John Kavulich aced the 3,000-meter run (9:04.68) and ranks first in Class 4A. Nate Maller claimed the javelin (168 feet, 5 inches). Michael Gift, Tevin Jeannis, Braden Clark and White were first the 400 relay (44.60) and are also first in the state.
Daniel Lujano won the 110 hurdles (15.96) for the St. Helens boys, and Mason Rask took the 300 hurdles (42.71).
Mason Rask had an impressive day in the hurdles and pole vault, Lions coach Cory Young said. Dylan Brady set a personal record in the 400 [53.58] and ran a very impressive anchor leg on our 4-by-400 team. Jacob Opdahl set a PR in the javelin and finished second [155-5].
For the Scappoose girls, Lucy Davidson won the 400 dash (1:00.25). Linnaea Kavulich was first in the 3,000 run (10:51.59). Natalie Muth, Eleanor Jones, Alyssa Spang and Davidson aced the 1,600 relay (4:16.40).
The Indians and Lions will compete next in the Wilsonville Invite at 10 a.m. on Saturday at Wilsonville High School.
Lower Columbia Invitational
Saturday, April 9
at St. Helens High School
St. Helens results
1. Jarrett White, S, 11.57
3. Michael Gift, S, 11.80
2. Braden Clark, S, 23.53
1. John Kavulich, S, 9:04.68
1. Daniel Lujano, SH, 15.96
3. Mason Rask, SH, 16.71
4. Dakotah Camberg, SH, 17.06
5. Brennan Cox, S, 17.36
1. Mason Rask, SH, 42.71
4. Greg Maywald, SH, 44.21
1. Michael Gift, Tevin Jeannis, Braden Clark, Jarrett White, S, 44.60
4. Bryce Bumgardner, Sam Estep, Nate Funk, Mason Rask, SH, 45.45
3. Dylan Brady, Bryce Bumgardner, Nate Funk, Daniel Lujano, SH, 3:41.42
5. Brendan Fugere, SH, 12:56.98
4. Alex Hansen, S, 126-2
1. Nate Maller, S, 168-5
2. Jacob Opdahl, SH, 155-5
4. Dakotah Camberg, SH, 6-0
2. Mason Rask, SH, 11-6
3. Andrew Ziegler, SH, 11-0
4. Daniel Lujano, SH, 40-10
1. Lucy Davidson, S, 1:00.25
2. Alyssa Spang, S, 1:01.17
4. Lillianna Shriver, SH, 1:02.60
1. Josie Hanna, SH, 2:18.99
4. Cheyenne Trainer, SH, 5:17.38
1. Linnaea Kavulich, S, 10:51.59
2. Eleanor Jones, S, 16.86
5. Eleanor Jones, S, 50.48
2. Mackenzie Ela, Lucy Davidson, Eleanor Jones, Alyssa Spang, 51.29
1. Natalie Muth, Eleanor Jones, Alyssa Spang, Lucy Davidson, S, 4:16.40
2. Lillianna Shriver, Josie Hanna, Gabby Hora, Cheyenne Trainer, SH, 4:19.90
5. Angela Willson, Lei Jacob, Tascka Benjamin, Jennifer Prevish, SH, 15:40.35
2. Ranay Laird, S, 104-9
3. Jessie Powell, S, 105-4
4. Jessie Powell, S, 4-10
5. Alyssa Spang, S, 15-9.25
5. Mackenzie Ela, S, 30-9.5