Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Request to annex 97.5 acres of land set for November ballot

The area in question includes 12 acres parcels of property that are in the Brookman Concept Plan


Sherwood residents will be asked on the Nov. 5 ballot if they want to bring property — consisting of an estimated 12 lots and land parcels located in an area known as the Brookman Concept Plan — into the city limits.

The 97.5 acres of property is generally defined as being south of the current city limits, north of Brookman Road, east of Highway 99W and west of Ladd Hill Road.

Zoning requirements call for 90 percent of the of the properties to be zoned medium density residential low which does not allow multi-family. The remaining 10 percent of the properties will be zoned medium density residential high (which means 5.5 to 11 units per acre) which does allow for multi-family but the city has traditionally seen such structures as townhouses in those zones, according to Tom Pessemier, assistant city manager.

Initiated by property-owners in the Brookman Road area, the current measure is smaller than the city-initiated one sent to voters in November 2011, which asked them if they wanted to annex the entire 258 acres in the Brookman Concept Plan. That proposal, which was defeated by voters, included not only annexing land for residential use but also for commercial office, light industrial and institutional public space as well.

The Oregon Secretary of State’s website shows support for the newest measure coming from the Sherwood Committee for Responsible Growth, which lists Lori L Piercy of Rainier as treasurer. The committee also lists paying $9,926.31 to Quinn Thomas Public Affairs, which represented Walmart when it announced plans to locate in Sherwood, for help in getting the measure passed.




Local Weather

Cloudy

69°F

Sherwood

Cloudy

Humidity: 51%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 24 Jul 2014

    Clear 72°F 52°F

  • 25 Jul 2014

    Partly Cloudy 81°F 54°F