Brookman Road annexation measure handily defeated
Sixty percent of residents turn down property annexation proposal
A ballot measure that would have annexed 12 lots and land parcels in the Brookman Road area into the city limits lost Tuesday night 2,087 to 1,366.
The measure asked voters if they wanted to bring 97.5 acres of property into the city in an area generally defined as being south of the current city limits, north of Brookman Road, east of Highway 99W and west of Ladd Hill Road into the city.
Turned down by 60 percent of the voters, 90 percent of the properties in question were to be zoned medium density residential low which would not allow multi-family uses. The remaining 10 percent of the properties called for zoning of medium density residential high (which means 5.5 to 11 units per acre) allowing for multi-family use although the city has traditionally seen such structures as townhouses in those zones, according to Tom Pessemier, assistant city manager.
One of the property owners, Maura Broadhurst, made public comments during the Sherwood City Council meeting Tuesday night, just before election results came in. She said social media and misinformation were part of bully scare tactics that were prevalent throughout the campaign.
Residents received two direct mailings supporting annexation of the properties over the last several weeks -- touting passage of the measure as a way to generate money for police and schools, fitting into the community's character and saying it was supported by residents. Also, printed "vote yes" lawn signs could be seen throughout parts of the city.
Meanwhile, hand-painted signs with messages ranging from Keep Sherwood weird to Wont get fooled again, dotted some yards and businesses, urging voters to "vote no" on the measure.
Initiated by property-owners in the Brookman Road area, the failed measure was smaller than the city-initiated one sent to voters in November 2011, which asked voters if they wanted to annex the entire 258 acres in the Brookman Concept Plan. That proposal, which was defeated by voters, included not only annexing land for residential use but also for commercial office, light industrial and institutional public space as well.