Update: Cause found for Sherwood fire
A faulty electrical circuit is likely the cause of a fire that destroyed a vacant home in rural Sherwood on Friday afternoon.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue investigators said the fire started in an exterior cavity inside the kitchen that was prompted by a failure in an electrical circuit. The fire quickly spread to the wood framing.
Firefighters were called to the home in the 25000 block of Labrousse Road, south of Sherwood, at about 12:34 p.m.
Construction crews working nearby reportedly spotted smoke coming from the home. Firefighters could see smoke billowing from the single-story home from Highway 99W as they approached.
The home's daylight basement was engulfed in flames when crews arrived.
The flames were so hot firefighters were unable to complete a search of the home, but later confirmed with the homeowner that no one was living in the house at the time of the blaze.
With no fire hydrants in the area, water tenders were used to shuttle water to the scene.
It took firefighters about a 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.
No one was injured.
Newberg Fire assisted with the rural water operations, TVF&R officials said.
The vacant home was scheduled for demolition next month and was not insured.
Due to structural integrity concerns with the roof and the possible presence of mold, investigators did not conduct any interior processing of the scene, TVF&R officials said of the investigation into the blaze.