Reports for games played Sept. 21

Tualatin Cardinal vs. West Linn Green

The third/fourth-grade Wolves met The Lions in Tualatin in what turned out to be an offensive game filled with ups and downs.

The Wolves who are known for their stubborn defense and team tackling, were on their heels in the first quarter and quickly fell behind by 3 touchdowns. The Lions combination of qb sneaks, speedy sweeps and middle run’s kept the Wolves off balance and showed them a look they had not seen thus far.

The second quarter began with Tualatin fans looking for something positive to build from and got just that. Kellen Hale scampered in the end zone on a 22-yard pitch to the weak side. The play was set up by excellent front line blocking. The Wolves defense settled down and began to make plays. A quick turnover followed by a Stellan Lippy TD and the Wolves were back in the game. Noah Gilbertson’s defensive prowess kept the game within striking distance as the first half came to an end.

The second half was a much closer battle but the Wolves couldn’t close the gap. “We played three hard quarters” a fan said. The Wolves showed pride today and clearly refused to quit even when facing Adversity and a large deficit. The boys are now aware that they can play with the best teams in the league. They will go back to work this week and continue to improve.

Look for The Wolves to bounce back next week. There is no doubt they will continue to work hard. These boys are going to be hungry for a win and I wouldn’t want to be next week’s opponent.

Go Wolves!

Tualatin JV Cardinal 45, St. Helens Black 28

The floodgates opened up in St. Helens just before the start of the Wolves’ first away game, but the rain and soggy turf couldn’t slow the Tualatin offense as the Wolves put up 45 points with a strong running game and an excellent passing attack that defied the slippery conditions. On defense the Wolves forced several key turnovers and made some timely stops, but St. Helens was able to create some offense of its own before Tualatin captured the 45-28 win and improved its record to 3-0 for the season.

St. Helens got on the scoreboard first, scoring on its first possession despite several smashing tackles by middle linebacker Nathan Nelson, for a 6-0 lead after missing its two-point PAT kick attempt. Tualatin followed with a nice drive, starting with MacGuire Asay’s return of the kick-off to the Wolves 45 yard line. Using four different ball carriers, Tualatin ran seven straight times to march down the field for its first score, highlighted by a 36 yard cut-back run by Derek Leneve who, following a hard run by Cameron Springer to the St. Helens one, scored easily on the next play aided by bruising blocks from right tackle Isaia Porter, center Quinn McCarthy and pulling left guard Nelson.

Leneve added the one point conversion by following excellent blocking up the middle, and Tualatin took a 7-6 lead. The Wolves defense came to life on St. Helen’s second series, with Lucas Diggins narrowly missing a diving interception on the first play followed by bone-jarring tackles by Nelson, Springer and Jake Aarseth on two successive running plays, resulting in fourth and long. St. Helens fumbled the slippery snap during its punt attempt and Springer pounced on the ball, giving the Wolves excellent field position at the St. Helens 28 to start the second quarter. Despite hard running by Jalen Hale and Justin Fisher the Wolves turned the ball over on downs.

With the aid of several St. Helens penalties and tough tackling by Asay, Cameron Boothby, Tyler Wakeman and Adam Riehl, the Tualatin defense kept St. Helens deep in its own territory when Hale made an outstanding interception off a ball he tipped to himself and ran back to the St. Helens 18. After three short runs and facing fourth and five from the 14, Asay took the ball and, starting left, followed great blocking by Boothby and Riehl before cutting up the middle for the touchdown. The one point conversion failed, and the score was 13-6 Tualatin. The Wolves stopped St. Helens on downs on the next drive, then immediately gave the ball back to St. Helens with its first fumble of the season. The defense again rose to the occasion, holding St. Helens on downs and getting the ball back on their own 45 with a mere 32 seconds left in the half. What followed next was a hurry-up offense that would be the envy of any NFL team. Following a 12 yard run by Springer and use of their last time out, quarterback Bryce Hulse unleashed uncanny passing to march the Wolves downfield, first hitting Leneve with a perfect strike for a 25 yard gain.

After spiking the ball to stop the clock, Hulse next hit Hale, who made a great catch in heavy traffic to get to the St. Helens 10. Hulse again spiked the ball to give Tualatin one last shot at the end zone. The final play worked to perfection, with Leneve sprinting left from his backfield position and Hulse finding him with a perfect lob in the corner of the end zone, completing a fantastic 55 yard, six-play drive in 32 seconds. The one-point conversion was stopped by St. Helens, and the halftime score was 19-6 Tualatin.

The Wolves defense opened the second half with hard hitting tackles from Boothby, Diggens, Aarseth, Hale and Asay, quickly forcing St. Helens to turn the ball over on downs. The offense immediately went to work as Asay used an outstanding block by left tackle Christian Slater to break a 25 yard gain, shaking several tackles in the middle and then spinning left to streak down the sidelines. Three plays later Hulse again fired a deep strike, this time to Diggins who made the catch at the three and slashed his way into the end zone.

The offensive line protection for Hulse’s throw was outstanding, particularly the pass blocking provided by Slater and back AJ Brauer, who picked up a charging lineman. Brauer blasted up the middle for the successful one point conversion, making the score 26-6. The Wolves were clicking on both offense and defense, and three plays later Asay picked off a St. Helens pass at the Wolves 43 and returned it 44 yards to the St. Helens 13 before finally being dragged down by their quarterback. On the next play Brauer took a pitch right and found a gaping hole opened by Porter, Fisher and Hale before making a quick cut-back for the score. Springer powered his way up the middle, following center Wakemans’ block, for the one point conversion and Tualatin now led 33-6. That score didn’t last long though as St. Helens, after receiving the kick, scored on a long pass play on their first play from scrimmage. They missed the two point conversion, making the score 33-12. St. Helens squib-kicked the ensuing kick-off and an alert Fisher pounced on the ball just as St. Helens was converging to make the recovery. Hale took over at quarterback and he immediately led another Wolves scoring drive, starting with a 16 yard run up the middle by Asay, who was initially sprung by an outstanding block by Nelson and then fought off several tacklers for an additional eight yards. An illegal horse-collar tackle added 15 yards to the play, and on the next snap Leneve shot through a huge hole opened by Boothby, Asay, Riehl, McCarthy and Nelson and ran up the middle before using a downfield block by receiver Kyle Estey to cut left, scampering for a 24 yard gain. Three plays later, on the first play of the fourth quarter,

Hale rolled right and found Springer wide open for a three yard touchdown pass. St. Helens stopped the one point conversion and Tualatin now led 39-12. St. Helens followed with a nice scoring drive of its own despite good individual defensive plays by Hale, Fisher, Brauer, Estey and Cole Spires, with Estey participating on three tackles during the series. St. Helens was successful on its two point conversion, closing the gap to 39-20. Tualatin responded with yet another great drive, leveraging the front line blocking of Porter, Nelson, McCarthy, Slater and Aarseth to open up holes for Asay, Brauer and Springer. The trio of backs chewed up 50 yards on six carries, capped by Springer’s five yard blast up the middle for Tualatin’s final score. The conversion was unsuccessful and Tualatin’s lead was 45-20. St. Helen’s wasn’t done, fighting hard to the end and completing their final drive with a touchdown with 34 seconds left. Their two-point conversion was good, and the final score was 45-28 Tualatin, a surprisingly high score given the wet and slippery conditions both teams faced.

Sherwood Varsity Black 56, Clackamas 23

The Sherwood Varsity Black prepared themselves this week for a strong throwing game against the Clackamas Cavaliers.

Sherwood came out strong scoring quickly in the first quarter. After a failed passing attempt by Clackamas for a score, Sherwood's #33 Kian Lopez had a touch down followed by a big field goal by #73 Nic Garrison. Just as Clackamas started to pick up their passing game, our defenders caught on and an interception was made by Zachary Jenkins.

Shortly after that, Jack Corno scored followed by another field goal by #5 Hayden Gilbert. The second quarter started with another Sherwood touch down by Kian Lopez. Clackamas also managed to score on a short series. The score at half time was 30-16 Sherwood in the lead. The third quarter was full of more defensive attacks and another interception by #8 Takumi Hammerzell. Shortly after the interception, Takumi also scored. Sherwood's defense continued to stop the Clackamas throwing game time after time. The offense was full of action as the line opened up holes for Jack Corno to score again.

Kian Lopez finished strong for the Knights with a total of 93 rushing yards and on defense, Levi Klockars finished with 7.5 tackles and Zane Sands with 2.5, and together with other outstanding defense players put the Clackamas Cavaliers to a stop. The final score of the night was 56-23.

Sherwood White 22, Newberg White 0

The Sherwood third/fourth-grade White Knights played their first home game of the season Saturday and were able to end their day with a 22-0 victory over a tough and physical Newberg White team.

Just as the game kicked off a torrential downpour started with it causing both offenses to sputter and struggle to hang onto the football. As the game continued the rain slowed some and Sherwood was able to get into their offensive groove beginning with a nice drive that included strong running from fullback Nick Gribble and was capped by a big 44-yard dash to the end zone by quarterback Bjorn Bergstrom. The offensive line was led by Black Knight award winner Derrick Snyder with big help from Tony Budesilich, Keith Howland, Trent Hodney, Nolan Manning, Aiden Patterson, Tyson Jacobson, Aidan Owens, Andrew Bohnet, and Avery Wickham.

Sherwood put the pressure on with strong defense led by defensive end Baydon Kullowatz and his tackle for a 6-yard loss then a forced fumble recovered by linebacker Jack Davis. Kullowatz would then finish off the next offensive drive with a 4 yard touchdown after some help from hard running halfbacks Josh Young and Brayden Ross in keeping the drive alive. Andrew Thayer split the uprights for the 2 point conversion to put the Knights up 14-0 going into halftime. In the second half the Knight defense continued to thrive with another Kullowatz fumble recovery, a big tackle for loss by linebackers Bjorn Bergstrom and Seth Glenn, and another big tackle by Glenn and Ty Flesher in the end zone for a safety to put Sherwood up 16-0.

Adding to the strength on that defensive stand was Luke Wert, Scott Christensen, Cooper Keesee, Jayden Long, Alex Jones, Tyler Schultz, Hunter VanRiper, and Michael Mckinley. On the next drive quarterbacks Bergstrom and Seth Glenn led the Knights down the field once more and halfback Brennan Wieg capped the scoring with a 25 yard dash to the end zone. The Knights play at home again next weekend against a tough Sunset White team.

Sherwood JV Black 32, Barlow Bruins 0

The Sherwood JV Black defeated the Barlow Bruins 32-0 this past weekend. They were led by strong defensive play by Jakob McCreery, Jack Agnew, Cade Chidister, Dylan McNab and Kaden VanZant.

The Black Knights had a balanced attack on offense, with rushing touchdowns from Ethan Elmore, Jack Agnew, and Christian Goyer as well as a passing touchdown from Isaac Day. The Knights improve their record to 3-0.

Sherwood White 30, SEI Black 16

The game was not just about the way the Sherwood fifth/sixth-grade White players executed but the way they exuded true sportsmanship the entire game.

The players are truly learning the importance of knowing their plays, cheering on their teammates and picking up the other team’s players when necessary . . . they are learning the entire package to be an all-around team.

The WHITE Knights held their ground the entire game despite SEI’s size advantage. The WHITE Knights started the game with a bang on the 5 play of the game. Ben Nappe got outside SEI’s defense and a got into the end zone with a GREAT block by Kade Emmons to get us on the board with our first touchdown. Connor Cady, Tai Stormont and Gavin Evans played a keyrole in the offensive attacked by giving it 100 percent on every play and supporting their teammates to the best of their ability.

Asher Krauel, Dylan Evans, Alex Block and Emmons also contributed points to the scoreboard with their excellent running. In the end, our offense was able to score 30 points and put the “T” in teamwork because of the fantastic play of Knights offensive line.

The “big boys” up-front consisted of Ethan Estes, Jimmy Albarca, Sam Lazo, Michael Rump, Jed Fahland, Sam Stobie, Austin Genz, Max Stallard, Ben Heimark, Reid Grandquist, Jason Olheiser, DJ Matzinger and Hayden Finn. The Receiver corp of Dallen Jolley, Avery Meckel, Chase Soukup, Zack Coenen and Hunter Drost played an especially important role in delivering the play call to the QB on every down. Their keen focus allowed the offense to run without a hitch.

The White Knights defense stood their ground against SEI to gain very little yardage – they only allowed 2 touchdowns the entire game. As a result, the WHITE Knights will build on the momentum from this game by having a great week of practice and be ready to come out fighting on Saturday. We would like to congratulate Jimmy “More Bite Than” Abarca for receiving the Black Knight Jersey and Chase Soukup for the earning the Fitz Patch… way to go boys on a job well done!

Your performance on the field was fantastic and your leadership and sportsmanship are a great example to everyone. The Knights look forward to their next game on Saturday at 3 p.m. at Sherwood High School against Beaverton Black.

Youth football reports can be submitted to Dan Brood at The deadline for the youth football reports is noon on Tuesday.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine