Sandy home, shop total loss in fire
Firefighters on duty nearly all night trying to extinguish all fire smoldering inside walls
A Thursday evening fire in Sandy kept firefighters busy until about 4:30 a.m. Friday trying to find and extinguish smoldering fires inside the walls of a 1929 home in the 16200 block of Bluff Road.
By the time all flames, smoke and heat were gone, the 2,500 square-foot, three-level home and attached workshop and garage along with two vehicles and a fishing boat had been destroyed.
There were no injuries reported to the two adults and two children, ages 17 and 20, who were at home when the fire started, according to Alice Busch, spokesperson for Sandy Fire and Rescue.
The fire erupted quickly while the male residents were in the shop cutting a car apart with a gas cutting torch. The fire moved so quickly they were unable to stop it with a small fire extinguisher.
They evacuated the home, which included only one woman, and called 9-1-1. Eight minutes after the fire ignited, firefighters were called but the shop was a total loss by that time and the home also was burning.
Family members are being assisted by the American Red Cross with temporary housing in a local hotel.
Replacement loss value of the home, shop, vehicles and home contents is estimated to exceed $350,000.
For more information, read the June 13 issue of the Sandy Post.