Featured Stories

Coughing fit leads to crash

Fuel truck takes out three RVs, two cars and a tree but injures no one

A coughing fit led to a multi-vehicle accident that snarled traffic on Sandy’s main thoroughfare for almost three hours Friday.

The crash occurred about 7:30 a.m. at the intersection of Proctor Boulevard and Beers Avenue.CONTRIBUTED PHOTO - A multi-vehicle crash slowed traffic on Proctor Boulevard on Friday, after the 44-year-old driver of a commercial fuel truck and trailer owned by Space Age Fuel suffered a coughing fit and blacked out behind the wheel. No one was injured in the crash, which damaged three RVs, two cars and a tree.

Sandy police and fire said a commercial truck and trailer owned by Space Age Fuel was headed west on Proctor Boulevard when it collided with two parked cars parked in front of the Veterans of Foreign Wars building.

The truck then hit a tree and veered across the street into three recreational vehicles in Fred’s RV World.

The collision ruptured the fuel tank of one parked car and one diesel tank on the Space Age truck.

The 44-year-old truck driver told police that he began coughing so hard that he temporarily blacked out, leading to the crash.

He was not hurt but taken to a hospital for evaluation and testing.

No one else was involved or injured in the crash. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO - A driver for Space Age Fuel said he had coughing fit and blacked out while driving through Sandy on Friday. His truck hit three RVs, two cars and a tree and closed Proctor Boulevard for nearly three hours. No one was injured.

Proctor Boulevard was closed for several hours as crews worked to contain and clean up leaking fuel. It reopened at 10 a.m.