Smoker's carelessness to blame for fatal mobile-home fire
Fire kills woman and at least one cat
A cigarette sparked a fire in a mobile-home that killed a Sandy woman on Friday afternoon, according to fire investigators.
Connie Rodgers, 51, who died in the fire, was reportedly smoking in bed when the cigarette ignited the headboard, said Sandy Fire Department's Deputy Fire Chief Phil Schneider.
A neighbor called 9-1-1 shortly before 2:30 p.m. Friday, July 26, and reported seeing smoke coming from the single-wide mobile home at the Barlow Trail Mobile Home Park, 35440 Highway 211, said Tammy Owen, public information officer for the Boring Fire District.
When fire crews from Sandy, Estacada, Boring and Clackamas arrived at the blaze just minutes later, the neighbor told firefighters someone was inside. Firefighters immediately began to control the heavy smoke billowing from the home and found Rodgers in the back bedroom where the fire started.
Paramedics began to perform CPR on Rodgers in an attempt to revive her, but they were not successful. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The woman was living at the mobile home park with her brother, who was not at home at the time of the fire. After being informed of his sisters death, Owen said, her brother left the scene to inform his other sister in Portland of the death.
Also living in the home were one dog and three cats. The dog and one cat are accounted for and unharmed, but one cat is dead and one cat was still missing Friday night.
Assisting at the scene were personnel from Sandy, Boring, Estacada and Clackamas fire, as well as Clackamas County sheriffs deputies, AMR ambulance and the fire investigators. The state medical examiner, Oregon state fire marshal and the Oregon State Police fire investigator also were involved in the investigation.
Add a comment