Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



by: SANDY POST: DAVID BALL - Mt. Hoods Taylor Scott rushes down the sideline on a fastbreak during Saturdays 66-62 win over Edmonds. TROUTDALE — The Mt. Hood CC women’s basketball team weathered a storm coming out of the halftime locker room and knocked off Edmonds 66-62 Saturday afternoon to put an end to a 22-game losing streak that dated back to early last season.

Mt. Hood carried a four-point lead into halftime, but that margin quickly evaporated as the Tritons came out on fire in the second half. Edmonds put up 20 points in a four-minute span, getting back-to-back 3-pointers from Anise Orozco and Haruka Miyagi, to build a 43-34 lead.

“We were sagging back too much and allowing them too much space, too many open shots,” Mt. Hood coach Tyler Rose said.

But just when the game looked to be getting out of hand, Alyssa Wilson came off the bench and saved the day for the Saints.

“I didn’t think about it much, I just wanted to pick up the intensity,” Wilson said.

She hit a 3-pointer off a kick-out from teammate Megan Nelson, fed Hannah Wahlers for an easy two on a fastbreak and drained another trey from the top of the arc. She finished her scoring spree by sinking a 10-footer from the right side that put Mt. Hood up 48-45.

“We were turning the ball over left and right, and we asked her to come into a spot she hadn’t spent much time at in practice,” Rose said. “Alyssa did a tremendous job and everybody fed off her effort.”

Mt. Hood extended to a 54-49 lead with 9:02 left after Taylor Scott drilled a deep 3 from out top.

Edmonds battled back to take a brief two-point lead as the clock rolled under five minutes. But Barlow graduate Marley Yates came up with a series of big plays to push the Saints to the win.

Yates got it started when she grabbed a defensive rebound and quickly started action the other way. Wilson pushed the ball ahead when a defender got a hand on her cross-court pass.

It wouldn’t matter.

Yates was sprinting down the center of the court, intercepted the deflected ball in stride, took two dribbles and put the ball over the front of the rim to tie the game 60-60.

“I felt like I had to really push myself and do everything I could to help us get the win,” Yates said.

She put the Saints ahead after drawing a foul on the team’s next possession. Yates stepped to the free-throw line for two of her most difficult attempts of the night after injuring the ring finger on her shooting hand somewhere in the mayhem.

Each shot from the line was followed by a loud grimace.

The first ball hit the back of the rim, spun high above the basket and dropped through the net. The second try clanked off the square on the backboard and went through for a 62-60 lead.

“It really hurt to shoot, but I tried by best to work through the pain, and it was awesome that they both went in,” Yates said.

Edmonds had its chance to regain the lead, but saw three attempts from beyond the arm go off the rim.

Mt. Hood added to its lead with a flurry of offensive rebounds at the other end, finishing the possession with Scott spinning into the lane and hitting an 8-footer.

The Saints put the game out of reach when an Edmonds pass sailed high, and Mt. Hood’s Whitney Warren chased it down along the sideline. The Tritons were forced to foul, and Wilson sank 1 of 2 to make it a two-possession game with only 0:18 on the clock.

“We were resilient tonight,” Rose said. “We weren’t willing to give up.”

Mt. Hood (1-1) plays at Big Bend at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 23.

Scott led the Saints with 17 points, while Wilson added 13 and Warren and Yates scored 12 apiece. Mt. Hood out rebounded the Tritons 69-44, leading to a 12-point edge in second-chance points.

View a photo gallery from this game at daveball.exposuremanager.com.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine