Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Standoff ends with a bang, arrest


Tigard man held after domestic violence complaint

ArnsbergTigard Police have arrested a man who barricaded himself in an outbuilding for hours after police say he tried to murder his girlfriend several weeks earlier.

Paul Brian Arnsberg, 45, hid in an outbuilding on his property for nearly six hours, Friday, before he surrendered to police.

The arrest stemmed from an incident at Arnsberg’s home Feb. 28, where he allegedly choked his girlfriend until she passed out, and only let her go after she stabbed him in the abdomen, said Tigard Police spokesman Jim Wolf,

Police were called to Arnsberg’s home in the 10300 block of 69th Avenue at about 2:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 28 to a report of stabbing.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed in Washington County Circuit Court, Arnsberg’s girlfriend ran from the house naked with blood on her hands. She reportedly told a neighbor that Arnsberg had tried to kill her.

The woman had blood on her hands and bruising on her neck, according to the affadavit, and the woman told police that their relationship was often violent.

The document claimed that Arnsberg had grown angry with her after she allowed him to fall asleep when she was supposed to have sex with him. The woman was getting dressed when he awoke and he allegedly grabbed her throat with one or both of his hands, squeezing until she blacked out, telling her that he was going to kill her. He loosened his grip as she regained consciousness then moved her to a bathroom where he began to choke her again, according to the affidavit.

The woman told police she believed she was going to die and grabbed a knife from the bathroom counter and stabbed him between three and fives times in the abdomen, then ran from the house screaming for help. She told a neighbor that Arnsberg tried to kill her.

Arnsberg disappeared after that. His van was later found abandoned near Southeast 60th Avenue and Division Street in Portland.

When police learned he had returned home, officers came to the house at about 11:30 a.m., Friday, March 22, to arrest him. But Wolf said that when police arrived they saw Arnsberg duck into an outbuilding behind his home. Arnsberg barricaded himself inside and refused to come out.

Police didn't know if Arnsberg was armed, so they told neighbors to leave the area and the county’s SWAT team — the Washington County Tactical Negotiations Team — was called in.

For hours, police and TNT tried to contact Arnsberg, Wolf said. At about 5:30 p.m., TNT officers forced open a door to the building and threw in a “diversionary device” — a loud flash grenade that produces blinding light and a bang loud enough to rattle nearby windows.

Arnsberg surrended to the heavily armed officers. No one was injured during the arrest.

Southwest Oak Street was closed between 67th and 71st avenues during the standoff.

Neighbors were allowed back into their homes shortly after Arnsberg’s arrest.

Arnsberg was lodged in the Washington County Jail. His bail was set at $25,000.

Deputy District Attorney Bracken McKey said that Arnsberg is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, April 1. More charges are likely to be filed.

This isn't the first time that Arnsberg has tangled with the law. Tigard police arrested him Feb. 3 on charges of fourth-degree assault after he attacked the same woman.

After that, Arnsberg promised not to contact the woman. That case is scheduled to go to trial in April.