Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



Tigard man cited for assault and kidnapping his girlfriend

ArnsbergA Tigard man who allegedly tried to strangle his girlfriend, then locked himself in an outbuilding for hours while police surrounded him, is facing additional charges.

Paul Arnsberg, 45, was arraigned in Washington County Circuit Court on Monday on charges of kidnapping and assault in the days and weeks leading up to his March 29 arrest.

Arnsberg faces a total of 10 criminal charges stemming from three separate incidents involving domestic violence against his girlfriend, including attempted murder, second-degree kidnapping, fourth-degree assault in the immediate presence of a child, five counts of violating his release agreement and two counts of contempt of court.

Prosecutors say Arnsberg choked his girlfriend until she passed out on Feb. 28, and only let her go after she stabbed him five times in the abdomen with a knife.

The woman ran to a neighbor’s house. She was naked with blood on her hands and bruising on her neck, prosecutors said. She later told police Arnsberg had grown angry after he fell asleep when the couple was supposed to have sex and awoke to find the woman getting dressed.

Arnsberg allegedly grabbed her throat with one or both hands, squeezing until she blacked out. She regained consciousness when he loosened his grip, but he began choking her again. The woman grabbed a knife on the bathroom counter and stabbed him three to five times in the abdomen, according to an affidavit filed after his arrest.

Arnsberg disappeared after that. His van was found abandoned near Southeast 60th Avenue and Division Street in Portland.

But prosecutors say that wasn’t the only time the victim was attacked by Arnsberg.

He already faced domestic violence charges after he reportedly attacked the woman on Feb. 3.

He posted bail in that case — which was scheduled to go to trial this month — and promised not to contact the woman.

Instead, he returned to the house, where he and the woman were living together.

Prosecutors said that after the Feb. 28 attempted murder, Arnsberg kidnapped the woman on March 7 and held her in a hotel for six days.

Arnsberg was eventually arrested at his home on March 28, after he barricaded himself in an outbuilding for six hours before he surrendered to police.

Prosecutors say in the indictment that Arnsberg beat the woman on Thanksgiving in front of her young son.

Arnsberg has pleaded not guilty to each of the new charges. A trial for the attempted murder, kidnapping and Thanksgiving assault charges is set for May 17.

He remains lodged at the Washington County Jail. His bail has been raised to $57,500.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine