Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Two receive minor injuries in Tigard fire

One man was burned after a kitchen caught fire early Tuesday evening.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews responded to a residential fire in the 11800 block of Southwest Carmen Street in Tigard at about 5:12 p.m., Tuesday.

A stove top had caught fire and one of the occupants tried to put out the blaze on his own, burning himself.

When one of the occupants dialed 911, dIspatchers warned the occupants to evacuate immediately and close all doors behind them.

Fire crews from Station 50 on nearby Walnut Street arrived with three minutes and quickly put out the fire.

Another occupant in the house suffered minor smoke inhalation, TVF&R spokeswoman Alisa Cour said.

The two were treated by paramedics at the scene and neither were taken to a nearby hospital.

"If a fire is still in the pan or oven and has not spread to nearby counters or cabinets, you may be able to extinguish it yourself," Cour said.  "However, if the fire is large or appears to be spreading, leave the house quickly and call 911 from a cellphone or neighbor's house." 

Cour said the best way to treat oven or pan fires is to use a fire extinguisher. If extinguishers aren’t available, turn off the burner and carefully slide a pan lid over the fire from the side to smother the blaze.

If the fire is contained in the pan, you may also sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda into the palm of your hand and toss on the fire.



Local Weather

Fair

64°F

Tigard

Fair

Humidity: 73%

Wind: 0 mph

  • 17 Sep 2014

    Cloudy 82°F 59°F

  • 18 Sep 2014

    Mostly Cloudy 77°F 58°F