Cindy Scarlett is "last piece of the puzzle" to shooting of Jeffrey Sutton
by: WCSO Jeffrey Levi Mcgregor and Cindy Kristina Scarlett

Washington County deputies have found a person of interest in the shooting of a Metzger man last week.

Deputies had been searching for Cindy Scarlett, 33, since Feb. 23, after she was seen leaving her home in Metzger where her ex-boyfriend Jeffrey Sutton was shot.

According to Sgt. Dave Thompson, a spokesman with the Washington County Sheriff's office, Scarlett was found at the Tualatin Fred Meyer, 19200 S.W. Martinazzi Avenue, at about 11:30 a.m., Wednesday.

Scarlett reportedly required some type of medical attention and was transported to a local hospital, where investigators met with her.

Authorities have not listed Scarlett as a suspect in the shooting, however a warrant has been issued for her arrest, after she failed to report to her parole officer since the shooting, Thompson said.

Sgt. Bob Ray, another spokesman for the Sheriff's office, called Scarlett the 'last piece of the puzzle' in determining what happened in last Thursday's attack.

Deputies had searched for Scarlett since the shooting, and had asked the public for tips on locating her.

'She is a critical part of this investigation,' Ray told The Times on Monday. 'And we need to contact her.'

It is unclear what Scarlett was doing at the Fred Meyer, and where she had been since last week's shooting.

As of presstime Wednesday, deputies had yet to speak to Scarlett, who was being treated for unspecified injuries at a local hospital.

Scarlett seen leaving home after shooting

So far, little information has been released about the shooting, and authorities are keeping mum about possible motive, the extent of Sutton's injuries and what type of gun was used.

Sheriff's deputies were called to Sutton's home in the 7900 block of Southwest Taylors Ferry Road at about 10:30 a.m., Feb. 23.

Sutton and Scarlett had recently broken up, but Scarlett and Sutton still lived together, Thompson said.

Other people were in the home at the time of the shooting, investigators said, and Sutton and Scarlett were not the homes' only occupants.

Authorities believe McGregor shot Sutton and then fled the house.

Scarlett was reportedly seen leaving the home around the same time as McGregor, Thompson said.

Sutton was taken to Oregon Health and Science University with critical injuries. Sutton's family has asked that additional information about his condition not be released.

Police dogs combed the area near Southwest 80th Avenue and Taylors Ferry Road in search of McGregor and Scarlett, but neither were found.

Metzger Elementary School was put in lockdown for almost an hour as police combed the area looking for the shooter.

By Friday, the search had expanded, stretching from Southwest Portland to Hillsboro, where the U.S. Marshals Oregon Fugitive Task Force reportedly broke down the door of an RV in the 400 block of West Main Street and arrested McGregor at about 2 a.m.

McGregor was arraigned Friday afternoon on charges of first-degree assault and unlawful use of a weapon.

The firearm used in the shooting has yet to turn up.

Investigators said that the firearm may have been stashed somewhere in the neighborhood as the shooter fled the scene.

'He could have hidden it in several places between the shooting and where we finally arrested him,' Thompson said.

If a firearm is found, neighbors are warned not to touch it and to call 911 immediately.

Anyone with more information about the shooting is asked to call the sheriff's office at 503-846-2500.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine