Couple face more charges in murder of son
Homeless couple has been in jail since last August
A Tigard couple faces new charges in the killing a 4-year-old boy this past August.
Jessica Dutro-Boggess and Brian Canady are being held on murder and abuse charges after the August 2012 death of Dutros 4-year-old son Zachary.
The couple was arraigned on new charges Tuesday in the Washington County Circuit Court.
The charges for the couple are near identical.
Dutro-Boggess, 24, now faces charges of murder, murder by neglect, and four counts of murder by abuse. She also faces a second-degree assault charge.
Canady, 23, faces charges of murder, murder by neglect, three counts of murder by abuse, as well as second-degree assault.
Both of them are believed to have assaulted Zachary and two of his three siblings, said Deputy District Attorney Megan Johnson, who is prosecuting the case.
Johnson said the new indictments come from new information stemming from alleged abuse against another child, who was not one of Dutro-Boggess biological children, Johnson said.
Canady and Dutro-Boggess had been staying at the Good Neighbor Center homeless shelter on Southwest Greenburg Road for about five weeks in August 2012, when Zachary collapsed in the night.
He was taken to a hospital where he died two days later.
After his arrest, Canady reportedly confessed to police that he had beaten the boy and kicked him in the stomach while they were staying at the homeless shelter.
Canady was reportedly upset after arguing with another resident on Aug. 12, and had gone into the familys room where he told the boy to sit in front of the television. When the boy didnt listen, Canady allegedly kicked him in the stomach while wearing shoes.
He reportedly told police he did not seek medical attention for Zachary after the beating for fear his actions would be discovered.
Over the next few days, Zachary began to vomit and had diarrhea, and collapsed at about 4 a.m. Aug. 14, the day after his fourth birthday.
Neither Canady nor Dutro-Boggess were able to revive him, and then decided to call 911.
The boys small intestine was punctured. He died Aug. 16, due to blunt force trauma to his abdomen, according to an autopsy.
The boy would likely have survived his injuries if he had received medical attention, prosecutors said.
The couple was expected to be tried together in September, but Johnson said the new charges will mean a new court date.
She also said she plans to try them separately.
The whole ball game changed with the new indictments, she said.
The couple is being held without bail at the Washington County Jail.
The two are expected back in court for a hearing July 8 to discuss the next steps in the case.Add a comment